The marvel that is Tempe Town Lake is celebrating its 20th birthday this year and we are celebrating in a special way. Join us as we reminisce the past 20 years, explore where we are now, and look to the next 20. And of course, there are parties!
Tempe Town Lake: 20 Years
Friday, Nov. 8, 4-7 p.m.
Beyond being an amazing place for special events, recreation and relaxation, Town Lake is also one of the Greater Phoenix Area's top destinations for business. Learn about how the lake benefits our entire region's economy and about future business opportunities around Tempe Town Lake.The event includes a presentation by Greater Phoenix Economic Council President Chris Camacho, State Farm Area Vice President Sonya Robinson, Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell and Economic Development Director Donna Kennedy. Enjoy free sunset guided boat tours, live music and networking opportunities. This event is free and open to the public with RSVP.
Tempe Town Lake Turns 20:
Community Birthday Celebration
Saturday, Nov. 9, 11-4 p.m.
Ever thought about what Tempe Town Lake might look like 20 years from now? The Tempe City Council-approved Rio Salado and Beach Park Master Plan provides a blueprint for the future of this Tempe treasure. This November, we're bringing that vision to life in a big way. Six zones. Dozens of free activities. Water taxis on the lake. And the entire community is invited. Click on the zones below for activity info. Scroll for passport and parking info.
Passport map and raffle
Grab a commemorative passport map at any of the six zone tents, then collect all ten stickers from each zone and vendor booth. If you get all ten, you’ll be entered to win several fabulous Tempe prizes, like hotel stays, shopping experiences or dinner out.
What to bring
Bring a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen and walking shoes! The entire loop is less than three miles. There will be food trucks on the north and south shores for food and beverage purchases. Feel free to bring your own picnic lunch too! This is an alcohol-free event.
Get to the fun
Tempe Town Lake is located between Rio Salado Parkway and Curry Road between approximately Rural Road and Priest Drive. It’s going to be a busy day in downtown Tempe, with the ASU/USC football game and ASU Family Weekend going on simultaneously. Please expect some delays if you’re driving. Here are your options:
The public parking lots at the marina and Tempe Beach Park will be closed to the public and will be used for vendor and ADA parking only.
- Downtown lots: Check locations and pricing at downtowntempe.com/parking.
- Tempe Center for the Arts (TCA) lot off Rio Salado Pkwy. and Hardy: Free public parking with free shuttle and golf cart service to the Arts & EcoZone (first come, first served). Service available from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. only.
- Marquee Theater, 730 N. Mill Ave: $10 event parking
Bike, bus or take light rail
Grab your bikes, hop on the bus, or take light rail and avoid all the parking and traffic delays!
Take light rail to Mill Avenue and Third Street or the Center Parkway and Washington Street station. You can access the events from the north or south side of the lake. For transit info, visit valleymetro.org.
- Pump track
- Core mini-rec classes
- ASU beach volleyball tournament
- Golf Tempe
- Casual fishing (no organized activities are planned but fishing is encouraged!)
- Zip line
- Rock wall
- REI activity area
TIP: Lines will probably be long. Take turns waiting in line and checking out the REI activity area.
- Stand up paddleboard yoga
- Rowing demos
- Yoga at the marina
- Rio Salado Foundation and SRP boathouse virtual reality preview
- Dragon boat rides
- Live DJ
- Words Over Water Artwalk
Important info: Boating activities are for kids 10 and older.
- Gallery at the Tempe Center for the Arts (TCA)
- Tai Chi classes
- Public art displays and activities
- Bird-watching with Audubon
- Citizen Science cloud viewing
- Water talks with Tempe's conservation and maintenance teams
- How the lake was made displays
- Live music
- Food trucks
- Exhibitor booths
- Walking Mill Avenue music exhibit
Emceed by Tempe music legend Walt Richardson
11 a.m. to Noon - Sugar Thieves
12:15-1:15 p.m. - September Soul
1:30-2:30 p.m. - Walter Richardson Trio
2:45-3:45 p.m. - Robby Roberson Trio
- State Farm Activity Area
- Mini Sixth Street Market
- Zumba classes
- Funky games with the Snakes & Lattes game gurus
- History of the lake exhibits by Tempe History Museum and ASU
These celebrations would not be possible without our sponsors. We are so grateful.