Whether children walk, ride a school bus, or ride a bike to school, here are some tips to help them get safely to and from school.
• However your child travels to school, teach him or her not to talk to strangers.
• Give your child a whistle to blow if he or she is in danger. A whistle will attract attention and may ward off a crime.
• If your child walks to school, make sure he or she is with friends on the sidewalk and not in the road. Teach them to use crosswalks and not to cross in the middle of the street.
• If your child bikes to school, make sure he or she wears a helmet and bright, light-colored clothing.
• When riding in a private car, make sure your kids wear a seatbelt.
• When riding in a bus, your child should sit quietly and listen to the driver. When exiting the bus they should make sure they stay where the driver can see them.
Drivers need to:
• Watch for children in and around school zones.
• Obey school zone speed limits.
• Watch for children exiting a school bus.
• Watch for children on bicycles.