Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Block Party

Oversized Vehicles

Residential Permit Parking


Contractors may apply for an annual permit by providing the following: 

Please deliver all of the above information (see checklist PDF) to the City of Tempe Transportation Division located at 200 E. Fifth Street, 2nd floor. For questions call 480-350-8219 and refer to annual barricading permit renewal process. 

On occasion, it is necessary to work after the typically allowed work hours for reasons of safety or due to the location or nature of the work.  When this is the case, contractors are required to get an off-hours letter of authorization.  Fill out the Off Hours Letter of Authorization PDF form and it will be reviewed and approved by the Neighborhood Services Office (480-350-8234).

Tempe Barricading Manual PDF

Block Party

To temporarily close your neighborhood street for a party or BBQ, complete the steps below: 

  1. Fill out a block party petition at least two business days in advance of your party - The petition must include the written approval of the head of household of each residence which abuts the street proposed for the block party. In addition, if any non-block resident is denied access because of the closure, his or her approval is also required. Block party permit/petition PDF - email the permit/petition to: For safety purposes, the city may require those organizing the party to hire Tempe police officers to direct and control traffic adjacent to the block party.
  2. Get the barricades and signs - The city will provide barricades and street closed signs. It's the responsibility of the party organizers to pick up and return the barricades and signs to the Traffic Operations Facility, 945 W. Rio Salado Pkwy. during regular city hours (before 3:30 p.m.). A refundable deposit of $25.00 is required. The barricades should be set by the party organizer at the place designated by the City Transportation Division.
  • Block parties are restricted to residential areas.
  • No alterations of any kind are to be made to a street or sidewalk in preparation of or during a block party.
  • Any debris in the city right-of-way caused by the party should be removed by the party organizer immediately following the party.
  • The block party must be for non-profit purposes and may go until 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and no later than 1 a.m. on holidays and weekends.
  • Entertainment such as a band, radio or any amplifying equipment should not disturb residences beyond the perimeters of the block. 

Oversized Vehicles

The oversize/overweight vehicle policy allows legal travel on City right-of-way for oversize/overweight (OS/OW) vehicle loads. Special permit requests must be received by the City at least two working days prior to the need for issuance of the permit.

Apply for an oversized vehicle permit (instructions on using the online portal PDF)

Oversize/Overweight Minimum Limits:
  • Weight over 80,000 lbs.
  • Length over 65 ft.
  • Width over 8 feet, 6 inches
  • Height over 8 feet, 6 inches
  • Any extension front 
  • Any extension back
Fees/Special Permits for Overweight/Overheight Vehicles
  • Application fee for excess size..................................................... $15.60
  • Plus, each 30-day permit issued for excess size............................ $ 31.10
  • Each permit issued for excess weight............................................$ 26.00
  • Plus, each 30-day permit issued for excess weight........................ $ 51.85

Pursuant to Resolution No. 2009.41, the City Council approved annual fee adjustments based on the annual United States Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Consumer Price Index—All Urban Consumers, West Region. Such fees will be adjusted each July 1. 

The applicant shall follow all requirements including required escorts, hours of travel as required under the permit. No travel shall occur unless permitted during the following hours: 
  • 6 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. – Monday through Friday
  • 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Monday through Friday
  • 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. – Monday through Friday

In accordance with the Arizona Revised Statutes (A.R.S.) 28-1103 and A.R.S. 28-1104 and Tempe City Code, with respect to highways under Tempe's jurisdiction may issue a special permit in writing, authorizing an applicant to operate or move a vehicle or combination of vehicles of a size or weight of vehicle or load exceeding the maximum specified in the Arizona Revised Statutes. 

Sec. 19-44 Overweight/oversize vehicle regulations

Sec. 19-45. Special permits for overweight and overheight vehicles 

Residential Permit Parking

For residents already living in a parking permit area:

In certain areas of Tempe, it's required for residents who live along a street to have a parking permit. Each household within the residential permit parking area is entitled to one free permit for their car each year. Additional permits are $5 each per calendar year. On July 1, the fee is pro-rated to $2.50 for the rest of the calendar year. The permit should be placed on the driver's side, rear bumper of the car OR on the driver's side, lower corner of the rear window.

Follow these steps to get a permit:

  1. Visit the Tempe Transit Store, 200 E. Fifth St., First Floor, Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
  2. Provide proof of residency and the vehicle registration (paper copies only). Examples of proof of residency include a utility bill dated within the last 60 days.
  3. Provide your driver's license
  4. Sign the residential permit parking policy agreement PDF

You also have the option to mail copies of the documents listed above to MeLinda Nerini and get the permit mailed to you. 

For questions about getting a permit, visitor’s pass, or large gathering waiver, please contact MeLinda Nerini at 480-350-2746 or German Piedrahita at 480-350-8160.

To request your street have permit parking: Residential Permit Parking Procedures PDF