Pilot program opportunities for solid waste and recycling
The City of Tempe consistently works with communities to identify innovative solid waste and recycling solutions that will improve the quality of services for residents. Several pilot programs are available to communities interested in exploring these ideas and providing feedback to city staff on how well they work. These programs are voluntary and do have participation requirements. Some are free to try while others have small fees associated with them.
Please contact Dawn Ratcliffe, Recycling Coordinator, at 480-858-2508 or email@example.com to learn more or to set up a pilot program in your community. Staff is also available to attend neighborhood meetings to discuss concerns and answer questions.
Current pilot programs
Education and Code Enhancement
The goal of this program is to promote neighborhoods that are clean, safe and in compliance with city code. Code Compliance and Solid Waste inspectors work together to launch a focused effort to reduce common front yard and alley violations. The combined inspections occur over a designated period of time and are accompanied with education mailers that help your community understand the rules as well as the reasons for those rules.
- Participation requirements: HOA’s or neighborhood associations can request requirements for their communities
- Length of program: Approximately 3-6 months
- Cost of program: Free
Alley to Curbside Collection
Tempe has hundreds of miles of alleys, many of which are difficult to maintain for cleanliness and safety. With alley to curbside refuse service, solid waste and recycling collection is moved from the alley to your curb. The goal of this program is to close the alleys to traffic (except for emergency and repair vehicles) to reduce illegal dumping and help keep them clean in compliance with city code. Additionally, curbside collection reduces solid waste costs due to less vehicle damage and more efficient routing.
- Participation requirements: 70% neighborhood approval by petition
- Length of program: Varies by community
- Cost of program: Free
Green Organics Curbside Collection
Residents will be provided an additional 96-gallon container specifically for green organic material including tree trimmings, yard clippings, manure and brush. The material will be collected from the curb each week on the same day as the recycling collection.
- Participation requirements: Staff will look at each neighborhood and make a determination depending on the number of homes interested in participating and the routing that would be involved.
- Length of program: TBD by community and staff
- Cost of program: The first bin is currently free. Additional bins cost $5.00 each per month.
Multifamily Recycling Program
Tempe staff will work with property managers, owners, apartment managers and residents to design a custom recycling program for multifamily properties. This will include an audit of the existing waste stream, an analysis to right-size service and add recycling bins, and designing a plan for the “in-apartment” experience to encourage resident participation.
- Participation requirements: Ability for the city to provide service to participating location, willingness of management to assist with resident education and program specifics
- Length of program: TBD by property managers and staff
- Cost of program:Small fee will be added to the monthly bill.
Special Green Organics or Community Cleanup Collection
City staff will work with neighborhood leaders or businesses to coordinate a larger scale collection event for green organic material or to coincide with community cleanups.
- Participation requirements: Significant amount of green waste that needs to be collected, neighborhood support
- Length of program: One to two days
- Cost of program: Rolloff container fee will be determined based on service level and availability. Staff will do its best to provide a discount to incentivize participation.
Community Yard Sale Collection
Community yard sales are a great way to get to know your neighbors, give your house a much-needed cleaning, all while making a few extra bucks. Tempe provides several incentives for larger scale community sales, including advertising and collection resources. Visit Yard Sale for more information.