New online workshops are available. See below for the schedule. Be notified when new online workshops are available by signing up for water conservation news.
Helping Your Yard Drink Responsibly (And Look Good)
Up to 70 percent of your home water use currently may be used in your landscape, but there are ways to increase efficiency while maintaining or improving the health of your landscape plants.
Tempe offers two training programs to help customers achieve their landscape goals: the Tempe Sustainable Landscape Workshop series (geared to residents) and the SmartScape training program (geared towards landscape professionals). Program information follows.
Tempe Sustainable Living Workshops
Tempe offers workshops on cultivating sustainable landscapes that are water wise, beautiful and low-maintenance. Each workshop is taught by a local expert.
- New Find and Fix Leaks: Learn how to find and fix leaks that are draining your budget. Taught by Tempe Water Conservation staff, this workshop will cover signs that you have a leak and detailed steps on how to detect and isolate leaks at a residential home. The workshop will also feature a demonstration of the WaterSmart Customer Portal. 11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., Thursday, July 16, Online (URL provided after registration).
- New Rainwater Harvesting: Learn the principles of rainwater harvesting and view techniques of passive rainwater harvesting features during this workshop taught by a Certified Water Harvesting Practitioner. Discuss how rainwater harvesting, when paired with desert lush plants, can help save water and reduce the utility bill. 11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., Thursday, August 20, Online (URL provided after registration).
- New Smarter Irrigation: Learn tips and trips that work for the landscape that you have, as well as review the latest advances in outdoor watering efficiency. Taught by Tempe Water Conservation staff, the workshop will cover sprinklers, drip, bubblers, microbubblers and hose watering. Technology review will include smart controllers, smart timers and flow sensors. Tips will include earthworks and soil science. 11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., Thursday, September 17, Online (URL provided after registration).
If any accommodations are needed, please feel free to call (480) 350-2668 to discuss the details. Additionally, you will also be invited to describe any special accommodations needed in the Workshop Registration Form.
- Tree Care Class: Take this interactive tutorial at your own pace to learn how to properly plant and care for trees. The class takes approximately 45 minutes and offers quiz questions throughout to test your knowledge as you advance. Tempe residents who take the class and complete the form at the end of the class may also qualify to apply for the TreeBate.
- Landscape Watering 101: View this recording of a LIVE workshop to learn the basics of how long and how often to water the landscape using the watering by the numbers method. The curriculum follows the Landscape Watering by the Numbers method.
- Tree Pruning Basics: View this recording of a LIVE workshop to learn the valid reasons and proper methods of tree pruning in an urban landscape. This recording features a live pruning demonstration and QA with Richard Adkins, Tempe's Urban Forester.
Smartscape is a water conservation training program specifically designed for professionals in the landscape industry. A range of students seek Smartscape training, including landscape designers, supervisors, and crew members from professional landscaping companies; municipal employees, and Homeowners Associations board members. Classes cover essential topics and important skills for planning, planting, and caring for low-water-use landscapes in the Sonoran Desert.
- Smartscape 101: This series of eight, 2.5 hour workshops will take professionals through eight key topics of water-wise landscape management, including plants, soil, and water; landscape water management and irrigation controllers; drip irrigation design and installation; pruning; desert adapted plants maintenance, plant selection and installation; plant problems; and more. Smartscape 101 is offered February and July of each year. View the current flyer.
- Smartscape Advanced: This series builds upon the Smartscape 101 series with 15 hours of in-depth instruction on the design, installation, and maintenance of drip and sprinkler irrigation systems. Attendees should have completed the Smartscape 101 series or have a basic knowledge of irrigation systems design, installation, operation, and maintenance. This class is offered every April.
- Smartscape 101 Spanish: Each year Smartscape provides a class that is taught in Spanish. Email email@example.com or call (602) 827-8206 to register.