Helping Your Yard Drink Responsibly (And Look Good)
Up to 70 percent of your home water use currently may be used in your landscape, but there are ways to increase efficiency while maintaining or improving the health of your landscape plants.
Tempe offers two training programs to help customers achieve their landscape goals: the Tempe Sustainable Landscape Workshop series (geared to residents) and the SmartScape training program (geared towards landscape professionals). Program information follows.
Tempe Sustainable Landscape Workshops
Tempe offers FREE landscape workshops on cultivating sustainable landscapes that are water wise, beautiful and low-maintenance. Each workshop is taught by a local expert. The workshop schedule follows and is updated each season.
- Rainwater Harvesting 101: Learn how to capture rainwater by creating a series of berms, basins, and swales that will direct rainwater to beneficial use for plants while reducing flooding and erosion in your yard. These practices will slow the flow of the water, spread it across the areas where it’s needed, and sink it into the ground. Instructor: Watershed Management Group. Wednesday, January 08, 2020 from 6pm-7:30pm at the Tempe Public Library Meeting Room A.
Graywater 101: Did you know that an average household’s laundry water produces enough graywater to support a backyard fruit tree? We’ll show you how to use a laundry-to-landscape system to recycle this graywater for use in your yard to nourish plants and reduce your municipal water usage. This session will cover best practices for graywater use and will guide you to creating a graywater action plan for your home. Instructor: Watershed Management Group. Wednesday, January 15, 2020 from 6pm-7:30pm at the Tempe Public Library Meeting Room A.
Desert Lush Landscape Design for the Do-It-Yourself Homeowner (2-Part Series): Learn how to design a sustainable outdoor oasis in this two-part series. Instructor: Erin Hutton, Landscape Designer. Saturdays, February 8, 2020 and February 22, 2020 from 2pm-4pm at the Tempe Public Library.
Composting 101: Learn how to turn yard waste and food scraps into vital nutrients for your garden soil. Compost helps soil retain water and can reduce the need to add commercial soil amendments and fertilizers. Instructor: Emily Heller, Master Gardener and farmer. Wednesday, March 11, 2020 from 6pm-7:30pm at the Tempe Public Library Meeting Room A.
- Vegetable Gardening Through the Seasons: Get your garden growing in our unique desert environment. Learn the importance of soil preparation and how to work with our challenging climate. Learn proper planting seasons and strategies for a bountiful harvest. Instructor: K. Mathura, Horticulturist. Saturday, April 11, 2020 from 2pm-4pm at the Tempe Public Library Meeting Room A.
Smart Irrigation Controllers: Learn how to save up to 30% of your landscape water by using a self-adjusting smart irrigation controller. These controllers can adjust irrigation schedules based on specific site and weather conditions. Rebate of up to $500 is available. Instructor: Jeff Lee, irrigation specialist. Saturday, May 09, 2020 from 2pm-4pm at the Tempe Public Library Meeting Room A.
- Do It Yourself Sprinkler System Design & Installation: Learn how to design, install and operate an efficient sprinkler system. You'll also explore the latest innovations in water efficient lawn watering equipment. Instructor: Jeff Lee, irrigation specialist. Saturday, May 16, 2020 from 2pm-4:30 pm at the Tempe Public Library Meeting Room A.
- ABC's to Yard Watering & Timer Programming: Wondering how long, how much and when to water your landscape? This class will take the mystery our of yard watering. Participants will also receive hands-on instruction on how to program irrigation controllers (timers). Instructor: Jeff Lee, irrigation specialist. Saturday, June 13, 2020 from 2pm-4:30pm at a TBD Location in South Tempe.
If any accommodations are needed, please feel free to call (480) 350-2668 to discuss the details. Additionally, you will also be invited to describe any special accommodations needed in the Workshop Registration Form.
Smartscape is a water conservation training program specifically designed for professionals in the landscape industry. A range of students seek Smartscape training, including landscape designers, supervisors, and crew members from professional landscaping companies; municipal employees, and Homeowners Associations board members. Classes cover essential topics and important skills for planning, planting, and caring for low-water-use landscapes in the Sonoran Desert.
- Smartscape 101: This series of eight, 2.5 hour workshops will take professionals through eight key topics of water-wise landscape management, including plants, soil, and water; landscape water management and irrigation controllers; drip irrigation design and installation; pruning; desert adapted plants maintenance, plant selection and installation; plant problems; and more. Smartscape 101 is offered February and July of each year. View the current flyer.
- Smartscape Advanced: This series builds upon the Smartscape 101 series with 15 hours of in-depth instruction on the design, installation, and maintenance of drip and sprinkler irrigation systems. Attendees should have completed the Smartscape 101 series or have a basic knowledge of irrigation systems design, installation, operation, and maintenance. This class is offered every April.
- Smartscape 101 Spanish: Each year Smartscape provides a class that is taught in Spanish. Email email@example.com or call (602) 827-8206 to register.