Tempe has enhanced its Mixed Bulk Trash and Green Organics program to provide a more environmentally-friendly service while also reducing costs, fuel usage and vehicle emissions. This program includes convenient mixed bulk trash collection and composting your yard trimmings. Tempe residents receive bulk trash collection and green organics collection every other month for all of the bulky items that can’t fit in your regular trash bin.
The green organic material is taken to our facility and turned into compost. Tempe's compost is placed in community parks, golf courses and schools. It is also available to Tempe residents. The compost has many beneficial uses including: walking paths, dust/erosion control and gardening.
Please check your area map at the link below for your collection schedule. Note to homeowners: City code states that landscapers cannot use alleys or streets for disposal - only homeowners who do the work themselves can place their green waste in alleys or streets for collection.
NEW 2019 Schedule Available!
- Furniture, large items (items that are unable to be donated)
- Non-Freon appliances (washers and microwaves)
- Appliances with Freon (refrigerators, freezers, dehumidifiers, ac units)
- Hazardous materials (paints, oil)
- Construction and remodeling waste (drywall, flooring and roofing materials)
These items can be recycled at Tempe's Household Products Collection Center.
Green Organics Acceptable Items
- Tree trimmings and brush (tree limbs, branches, trunks and stumps) 4 foot lengths max or less and no more than 19 inches in diameter.
- Leaves, pine needles, grass, small hedge clippings and weeds (placed in cardboard box or compostable bag)
- Cactus clippings (placed in cardboard box)
- Palm fronds and oleanders (These were previously not accepted. Now they are!)
Green Organics Unacceptable Items
- Bulk trash items (as listed above)
- Hazardous materials (paints, oil)
Green Bin Pilot Program
- Yard waste, including grass
- Palm fronds and oleanders are now accepted into the green bins.
- Click here for specific pilot program information which varies from other City collections programs.
Bulk and Green Organics General Guidelines
The amount of green and mixed waste allowed for each collection will be limited to approximately 10 cubic yards – roughly the size of a small SUV.
When to put your material out
Items should be placed out for collection no earlier than 10 days prior to the Monday of your collection week and no later than 6 a.m. on Monday of your collection week. Please separate the bulk and green organics piles with four feet of separation.
Residents with alleys: Please consider placing your items out the weekend immediately prior to the start of your collection week to reduce contamination and increase diversion from the landfill. Place all items in the alley along your fence line so the collection vehicles can pass. Bulky items must be a minimum of four feet from utility boxes and four feet from the green organics bulk pile.
Helpful tip: Plan your major brush and bulk disposal projects around the city’s collection schedule to avoid putting out your material too early. Residents who place their material out prior to the 10-day rule are subject to fines.
Alternative Pickup Options
Need service during your off-month or during monsoon season? Tempe residents have two convenient alternatives to curbside and alley pickup.
Transfer station/public dump
Tempe residents have access to a transfer station for delivering bulk trash - up to 1,000 pounds, once per month - at no charge.
- Sky Harbor Regional Transfer Station
2425 S. 40th Street, Phoenix
Sky Harbor has instituted a new safety regulation that all residents are required to wear safety vests while at the Transfer Station. If visitors do not have one they can purchase one at Sky Harbor for $1.00.
Residents can request a Bulk Trash or Green Organics pickup outside of their regular schedule for a fee. Call 480-350-4311 for current prices or to schedule a pickup.
Green organics drop-offs and compost pick-ups:
Monday – Saturday: 7 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Sundays and major holidays: closed
Please remember that all incoming green organics material to the compost facility is to be free of any other material. Only clean green. Mixed loads will not be accepted.