Affordable and Workforce Housing
Affordable and Workforce Housing in Tempe
Why we do it
- Lives are changed for the better when people don’t have to struggle to stay housed
- With housing, residents can focus on their education, employment and families
Who we serve
Affordable housing: Low-income single parents, seniors, people with disabilities, veterans, domestic violence victims, people with serious mental illnesses
Workforce housing: Teachers, public employees, retail and service workers, people in construction, young professionals and others
Housing: 250+ rental units and homes created between Tempe and development partners since 2011.
Direct assistance: $10 million annually in direct housing assistance for Tempe residents.
Keeping people housed: 45 households helped with down payment funds and emergency home repairs in FY 2017-2018.
Stair steps to permanent housing:
- More than 900 families served by the Housing Choice Voucher Program through rent subsidies.
- 6 specialty voucher programs with housing for veterans, domestic violence victims, people with disabilities,and young adults leaving the foster care system.
- 1 Housing Navigator to help residents find qualified housing.
We’re #1: Family Self-Sufficiency Program ranked best in Arizona for helping participants gain economic security.
Planning for the Future through partnerships
- Tempe Coalition for Affordable Housing: Established to buy properties and expand housing
- Apache Boulevard projects: Three new apartment communities offering an estimated 107 workforce and 56 affordable housing units.
- Tempe Micro Estates: 13 affordable “tiny” homes
- Modern townhomes: 17 new townhomes among 4 sites