Dementia Friendly Tempe Summit:
Living Well (with Dementia)
The free annual Dementia Friendly Tempe Summit brings together a dynamic panel of experts to share the latest information to Live Well (with Dementia) so you can take action to improve the health of the person living with dementia and/or yourself.
Hear the emerging good news about the role of future treatments and a healthy lifestyle in treating and delaying the onset of symptoms. Talk to representatives of local community resources before and after the summit.
Our speakers include:
Pierre N. Tariot, MD – Director, Banner Alzheimer’s Institute
Susy Favaro, LCSW – Social Worker, Banner Alzheimer’s Institute
Naturopath – Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine
Nancy Fitzpatrick – Master Docent, Arts Engagement Program, Phoenix Art Museum
Anastasia Johnstone – Community member / Person living with dementia
Carmen Ferguson - Family caregiver
Jan Dougherty, MS, RN, FAAN - Facilitator/ DFT / Banner Alzheimer's Institute
When: Saturday, March 28, 2020, 10 a.m. to noon
Where: Edward Jones Training Center, 8333 S. River Parkway, Tempe, AZ 85284
Registration: Register online at https://agefriendlytempe.eventbrite.com
or call 480-350-8534. Walk-ins are welcome if space is available.
Respite Care: Free care is available at the summit, but reservations are required.
Dementia Friendly Tempe (DFT), part of Dementia Friendly America, is the first dementia friendly city in Arizona. The City of Tempe partners with Banner Alzheimer's Institute to bring you programs, information, resources to help you learn and understand more about Alzheimer’s disease and dementia-related diseases.
Our Calendar of Events includes dates, times and locations for programs and events:
- Memory Cafe - every Monday (closed major holidays), 9:30 a.m. to noon
- DFT Presents Lecture Series - topics about dementia
- Dementia Friends Arizona - hour-long awareness sessions
- And other dementia-related events around the community and Arizona
- Dementia Friends of Arizona - hour-long sessions to learn small ways to help people living with memory loss.
- DFT Presents: free monthly lecture series - topics about dementia presented by professionals and community members.
- Memory Café on Mondays - a social place for people with dementia and their caregivers to gather.
- Meet the people behind DFT (video) - Their years of experience make it a great program.
- Tools for Building Resilient Caregivers - Learn strategies to help you cope if a loved one has dementia.
- Medical Marijuana and Dementia - Dr. Walter Nieri, University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix, discusses clinical studies on behavioral disorders in general and possibly in dementia-related disorders. Hear KJZZ radio's follow up story with interviews from a caregiver and an expert in the field of dementia.
Resources and programs for people living with dementia and for caregivers.
Have an idea for a topic?
We are interested in your concerns about Alzheimer's and dementia-related diseases. We may be able to organize a presentation to discuss that issue.
Dementia Friendly Tempe