Career Ready Tempe is a paid summer internship program for income-eligible high school juniors and seniors in the City of Tempe. Admitted students will be matched with businesses located in the City of Tempe for their internships.
Student-interns will be prepared to work in a professional setting by means of on-the-job experience and quality soft skills training programs. Student-interns will receive in-person training from Arizona@Work and will complete 6 online soft skills training courses through Arizona State University’s Edge program in the areas of customer service, leadership and personal development. Certificates, which can be added to the student’s resume, are available for all successfully completed Edge modules.
Student-interns will be matched with a College Connect Mentor who will provide students guidance in navigating their career and educational goals, while they are enrolled in CRT.
Internships are 15 hours a week for an 8-week period (totaling 120 hours) and take place during the summer. Students are compensated at a rate of $13/hour by the Career Ready Tempe program.
- A 15-hour weekly schedule compensated at a rate of $13 per hour
- Opportunities to build skills that will prepare you for success in your academic and career endeavors
- Valuable experience to add to your resume
- Opportunities to learn about a field of interest
- Knowledge of a field that is in-demand, resulting in the potential for various job opportunities in the future
- Support from a College Connect mentor who will assist you in navigating your internship, career and educational goals
- Time to network with professionals and leaders within the Tempe business community
- ½ Career Exploration Elective Credit is available to Tempe Union High School Students
- be a high school junior or senior in Fall 2020 (Students may apply during their sophomore or junior year).
- be a resident of the City of Tempe.
- be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- be at least 16 years of age prior to starting the program.
- be willing to participate in an interview process.
- complete an application including the application essay, resume and letter of recommendation from their school teacher, Career Preparation/CTE instructor, or other school staff by the application deadline.
- be in good academic standing with their high school prior to applying and while enrolled in the Career Ready Tempe program. For the purposes of this program, good standing=2.0 unweighted GPA or higher
- be willing to earn at least 6 credentials in Edge, a soft skills training program.
- be willing to participate in a 1-day culminating project or event to be determined by Career Ready Tempe staff following internship completion.
- agree to meet with their assigned College Connect mentor 6 times outside of their scheduled internship shifts.
- have parent/guardian permission to participate in all Career Ready Tempe Program activities.
Required Documents (to be provided at a scheduled eligibility meeting):
Proof of Income
Please include one of the following acceptable documents for each working adult in the household.
- Income Tax form 1040 or all W2s for the year 2018
- SNAP benefits award letter (all pages)
- Paycheck stubs for a month for any/all working adults in the household and proof of other income (cash assistance, child support, unemployment benefits, or SSI)
- Free or reduced lunch verification
- Proof of foster placement (automatically qualifies child without proof of income from foster family)
Proof of Residence
Please provide at least one of the following acceptable documents.
- Bank statement
- Water, electric, gas or phone bill)
- Rental agreement or mortgage statement verification
Proof of Legal Authorization to work in the United States
More information coming soon!