Career Ready Tempe
Two-thirds of jobs will require higher education by 2020. By the time today’s preschoolers complete high school, seven of every 10 jobs will require some type of higher education. Career Ready Tempe aims to help prepare and develop Tempe youth to participate in the future workforce by connecting youth to college and career readiness support and partnering with Tempe employers to provide youth with 8-week paid summer internship opportunities in fields that are in-demand. Year 1 of the program will focus on providing internships in the Advance Business Services sector between the months of June and August 2019.
Career Ready Tempe is a collaboration between the City of Tempe Human Services Department, Economic Development Department and the Tempe Chamber of Commerce. The program is funded by City of Tempe Innovation Funds and the US Chamber of Commerce Foundation’s Career Readiness Lab Grant. It has been strategically designed to align with industry needs and the initiatives of Achieve65Tempe, Tempe City Council’s goal to reach degree attainment for 65% of its residents by the year 2030, through collective community efforts.
The program will serve income-eligible Tempe youth who are in their incoming junior or senior year of high school. Students will complete an application and interview process to be selected for participation.
Benefits of participating in the Career Ready Tempe Program:
- A 15-hour weekly schedule compensated at a rate of $13 per hour
- ½ Career Exploration Elective Credit is available
- Opportunities to build skills that will prepare students for success in their academic and career endeavors
- Valuable experience to add to student resumes
- Opportunities to learn about a field of interest
- Knowledge of a field that is in-demand, resulting in the potential for various job opportunities in the future
- Support from a mentor who will assist students in preparing for their internship and the college enrollment process
- Time to network with professionals and leaders within the Tempe business community