480-858-7255 CERT Office
Tempe/Scottsdale CERT will be having CERT Basic Training Course 19-01 beginning October 10th and ending November 23rd at the Thomas A. Hontz Police and Fire Training Facility, 911 N. Stadem Drive, Tempe, AZ 85281.
The schedule is as follows:
October 10th Class 1 Emergency Preparedness and Terrorism Awareness
October 17th Class 2 Fire and Utility Safety
October 24th Class 3 Disaster Medical 1
October 31st No Class Halloween
November 7th Class 4 Disaster Medical 2
November 14th Class 5 Search and Rescue and Heavy Lift
November 21st Class 6 Disaster Psychology and Team Organization
November 23rd Final Exercise and Graduation
This class will not be posted for registration until September.
You can also keep up on events by signing up for Fire News to receive emails.
CERT provides help before first responders arrive
Community Emergency Response Team training gives people decision-making and physical skills to offer immediate assistance to the community. While people will respond to others in need without the training, CERT's goal is to help them do so effectively without placing themselves in unnecessary danger.
Local governments prepare for emergencies. However, there are emergency situations that can overwhelm the Tempe Fire Medical Rescue Department’s immediate response capability. While adjacent jurisdictions, state and federal resources can be activated, there may be a delay in them getting to those who need it.
If a disastrous event overwhelms or delays the fire department, CERT members can assist others by using the basic response tools and skills to help save and sustain lives following a disaster until help arrives.
A six-week training course is usually offered twice in a year. The classes meet once a week for three hours and culminate in a final disaster simulation exercise.
CERT training covers
- Introduction to CERT: Terrorism awareness; Disaster preparedness
- Fire and Utility Safety: Use of fire extinguisher; Utility identification, shut-off, and safety
- Disaster Medical Operations: Principles of triage and life-threatening injuries
- Disaster Medical Operations: Major function of disaster medical; Patient evaluation and treatment
- Light Search and Rescue: Search and Rescue size up; Conducting searches; Conducting rescue operations
- Disaster Psychology / CERT Organization
- Putting new skills and tools to the test at a Final Disaster Simulation Exercise