Program Manager: Deputy Chief Pat Bailey
Program Coordinator: Chrystal Vester|
Lead Cadet Adviser: Firefighter Doug Myers
Active Cadet Login: https://www.volgistics.com/ex2/vicnet.dll/?from=364549
Minimum Qualifications to become a Cadet
- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
- 18 years of age
- Valid driver’s licenses
- DPS finger print card
- CPR certification
- Passing a firefighter-style interview panel
Volunteer Work, Mentorship and Activities
Cadets will be expected to volunteer a minimum of eight (8) hours volunteer time and eight (8) hours mentorship time per month, Monday - Friday, between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. with the Fire Medical Rescue Department.
All other activities that the cadet wishes to participate in will be in addition to these sixteen (16) hours.
- department service aide
- station tasks
- training center service
- inner department mail delivery
- community service projects
- Skills courses
- Ride-alongs with engine companies, ladder companies, ambulance personnel, inspections and fire investigations
- Attend several skill-based classes
In return for their volunteer work, cadets can participate in the following types of activities:
- Working in Turn Outs
- Using SCBA's
- Hose Lays
- Search and Rescue/Save Your Own
- Vehicle Extrication
- Advancing Hose Lines
- Live Burns
Additional Cadet Opportunities
Interview Mentorship Program - Cadets get Fire Medical Rescue Department interview coaching to prepare for interviews.
Ride Along Program - Cadets participate in a ride-along program where they learn first hand about being a firefighter and get feedback from firefighter mentors.
Recruitment and Application
Cadet applications are reviewed monthly. Based on the program availability interviews are conducted at the time of vacancies.
We are currently accepting applications until the needs of the department are met.
If you don't have an available computer, use one at:
- Fire Training Center Office, 1340 E. University Drive, Tempe during office hours to complete the online application.
- Tempe Public Library, 3500 S. Rural Road