2017 Firefighter Recruitment
Tempe Fire Medical Rescue Department partnered with the Chandler and Scottsdale fire departments in a Multi-Agency Recruitment for firefighters for spring 2017.
Registration closed Monday, May 22, 2017.
Review of applications will take several weeks. Registrants will be contacted by the email provided on applications
- Candidates must possess an EMT or Paramedic certification through AZDHS and/or NREMT
OR be enrolled in a program with completion prior to January 2018.
- Candidates must be at least 18 years of age by July 18, 2017.
- Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Qualified and registered candidates will participate in a written test for the purpose of creating an eligibility list that each city’s fire department may use to hire personnel
- Space for the written exam is limited to the first 1,500 registered participants who meet the minimum qualifications.
- Notification will be made through email using the contact information provided by the candidates in the on-line registration.
- Qualified candidates will be assigned one of three test session times.
- Written exam takes place Tuesday, July 18, 2017.
Qualified candidates who pass the written exam will be put on an eligibility list that may be used by any of the cities participating in the spring 2017 recruitment process. The list may remain viable for two (2) years and a candidate may be contacted to participate in multiple interview processes with each agency.
Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
The Tempe Fire Medical Rescue Department requires a CPAT at the time of the first interview.
Firefighter Recruit Academy
If hired as a Firefighter Recruit, the recruit will attend a regional training academy that is approximately 13 weeks in duration. The Firefighter Recruit Academy will allow the recruit to become familiar with the career prior to graduation of the academy and prior to starting their one-year probationary period with the Tempe Fire Medical Rescue Department.
Firefighter Recruit position
Firefighter Recruit is an entry-level class in Tempe’s Firefighter series. Employees work under general supervision while learning job tasks and are expected to be performing at journey level within the prescribed time frame. For more information, go to our fire department job descriptions page.
Working for the City of Tempe and the Fire Medical Rescue Department