This recruitment is open until December 16, 2019.
Salary $22.21 per hour
Firefighter Recruit is an entry level class in Tempe’s Firefighter series. Recruits work under general supervision while learning job tasks and are expected to perform at a journey level within the prescribed time frame.
If hired as a Firefighter Recruit, the recruit will attend a regional training academy that is approximately 13 weeks in duration. The Firefighter Recruit Academy will allow the recruit to become familiar with the career prior to graduation of the academy and prior to starting their one-year probationary period.
- Must be 18 years of age at time of application.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Must possess a valid EMT or Paramedic certification through AZDHS and/or NREMT OR be enrolled in a program with completion by January 23, 2020. Qualified candidates with certifications received after January 23, 2020 would be considered for future hiring processes.
- Must possess valid CPAT within 6 months of first interview.
- Qualified candidates will complete an exam for the purpose of creating an eligibility list used to hire personnel.
- Upon submission of your completed application, exam details will be sent via email using the contact information provided on the online application.
- Various dates, times and locations are available to complete the exam.
- Exam must be completed by December 16, 2019.
For the complete job description go to: https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=4810
This position is FLSA Non-Exempt – eligible for overtime compensation and/or compensatory time.
Employees in this position are represented by the International Association of Firefighters (IAFF).
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: The City of Tempe is an Equal Opportunity / Reasonable Accommodation employer. The City does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, familial status, age, disability, and United States military veteran status. Pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will make a reasonable accommodation(s) during the recruitment & selection process. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting Human Resources at 480-350-8276. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation.
See Past Recruitments for information about how the 2017 recruitment was conducted.