For the latest news, information and resources on Tempe’s coronavirus response, please visit


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Block Party

Off hours Work Application

Oversized Vehicles

Residential Permit Parking



Contractors may apply for an annual permit by providing the following: 

Please deliver all of the above information (see checklist PDF) to the City of Tempe Transportation Division located at 200 E. Fifth Street, 2nd floor. For questions call 480-350-8219 and refer to annual barricading permit renewal process. 

On occasion, it is necessary to work after the typically allowed work hours for reasons of safety or due to the location or nature of the work.  When this is the case, contractors are required to get an off-hours letter of authorization.  Fill out the Off Hours Application and it will be reviewed and approved by the Neighborhood Services Office (480-350-8234).

Tempe Barricading Manual PDF

Block Party

The City of Tempe canceled public special events in compliance with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance about large gatherings and the benefits of social distancing in minimizing community spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19). Block party permits are on hold until further notice.  

To temporarily close your neighborhood street for a party or BBQ, complete the steps below: 

  1. Fill out a block party petition at least two business days in advance of your party - The petition must include the written approval of the head of household of each residence which abuts the street proposed for the block party. In addition, if any non-block resident is denied access because of the closure, his or her approval is also required. Block party permit/petition PDF - email the permit/petition to: For safety purposes, the city may require those organizing the party to hire Tempe police officers to direct and control traffic adjacent to the block party.
  2. Get the barricades and signs - The city will provide barricades and street closed signs. It's the responsibility of the party organizers to pick up and return the barricades and signs to the Traffic Operations Facility, 945 W. Rio Salado Pkwy. during regular city hours (before 3:30 p.m.). A refundable deposit of $25.00 is required. The barricades should be set by the party organizer at the place designated by the City Transportation Division.
  • Block parties are restricted to residential areas.
  • No alterations of any kind are to be made to a street or sidewalk in preparation of or during a block party.
  • Any debris in the city right-of-way caused by the party should be removed by the party organizer immediately following the party.
  • The block party must be for non-profit purposes and may go until 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and no later than 1 a.m. on holidays and weekends.
  • Entertainment such as a band, radio or any amplifying equipment should not disturb residences beyond the perimeters of the block. 

Oversized Vehicles

The oversize/overweight vehicle policy allows legal travel on City right-of-way for oversize/overweight (OS/OW) vehicle loads. Special permit requests must be received by the City at least two working days prior to the need for issuance of the permit.

Apply for an oversized vehicle permit (instructions on using the online portal PDF)

Oversize/Overweight Minimum Limits:
  • Weight over 80,000 lbs.
  • Length over 65 ft.
  • Width over 8 feet, 6 inches
  • Height over 8 feet, 6 inches
  • Any extension front 
  • Any extension back
Fees/Special Permits for Overweight/Overheight Vehicles
  • Application fee for excess size..................................................... $15.60
  • Plus, each 30-day permit issued for excess size............................ $ 31.10
  • Each permit issued for excess weight............................................$ 26.00
  • Plus, each 30-day permit issued for excess weight........................ $ 51.85

Pursuant to Resolution No. 2009.41, the City Council approved annual fee adjustments based on the annual United States Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Consumer Price Index—All Urban Consumers, West Region. Such fees will be adjusted each July 1. 

The applicant shall follow all requirements including required escorts, hours of travel as required under the permit. No travel shall occur unless permitted during the following hours: 
  • 6 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. – Monday through Friday
  • 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Monday through Friday
  • 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. – Monday through Friday

In accordance with the Arizona Revised Statutes (A.R.S.) 28-1103 and A.R.S. 28-1104 and Tempe City Code, with respect to highways under Tempe's jurisdiction may issue a special permit in writing, authorizing an applicant to operate or move a vehicle or combination of vehicles of a size or weight of vehicle or load exceeding the maximum specified in the Arizona Revised Statutes. 

Sec. 19-44 Overweight/oversize vehicle regulations

Sec. 19-45. Special permits for overweight and overheight vehicles 

Residential Permit Parking

The Transportation Center and Transit Store are closed until further notice in compliance with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance about the benefits of social distancing in minimizing community spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19). To get a residential parking permit, please email or call 480-858-2276 to schedule an appointment.
For residents already living in a parking permit area:

In certain areas of Tempe, it's required for residents who live along a street to have a parking permit. Each household within the residential permit parking area is entitled to one free permit for their car each year and one free visitors pass for each property. Additional permits are $5 each per calendar year. The permit should be placed on the driver's side, rear bumper of the car OR on the driver's side, lower corner of the rear window.

Follow these steps to get, replace or renew a permit:


Mail or send scanned copies of the documents listed below to Our mailing address is 200 E Fifth Street, Mail Drop 04-1, Tempe, AZ 85281.

  • Proof of residency of the vehicle registration address (needed for new participants/vehicles only). Examples of proof of residency include a utility bill dated within the last 60 days.  We accept driver’s licenses with the property address listed or utility bills from SRP, APS, Southwest Gas, City of Tempe, Cox Communications, Century Link, Direct TV, Dish Network, cell phone company, bank statement or a pay stub or a current statement from the Department of Economic Security (DES). Lease agreements are not acceptable forms of proof of residency. 
  • Vehicle registration (needed for new participants/vehicles only)                                                                                                                                                                                 
  • A signed copy of the residential permit parking policy agreement PDF  (needed for new participants only)


After you receive an email from the City approving your permit, call 480-350-2746 to pay with a credit card or mail in a check for the amount indicated within the email from the City.


Once payment is received, your permit will be mailed to the property address within 5 business days.


  • If you need to get your permit immediately or would prefer to get your permit in person, visit the Tempe Transit Store, 200 E. Fifth St., First Floor, Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. 
  • For questions about getting a permit, visitor’s pass, or large gathering waiver, please contact or call 480-350-2775.
  • To request your street have permit parking: Residential Permit Parking Procedures PDF

Residential parking permits not renewed by February 1, 2020 will require residents to provide additional information in order to renew the permit.