Your trash and recycling pickup days are changing beginning Feb. 3. More information is available on the city’s website at or by calling Tempe 311 at 480-350-4311.


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

What is an Appeal?

An appeal is a request to a higher court, Maricopa County Superior Court, to review and reverse the decision of the trial court. On appeal, no new evidence is introduced, the higher court is limited to considering whether the trial court erred on a question of law or gave a decision plainly contrary to the evidence presented during trial.


Appeal forms can be obtained at the front Customer Service Counter. The completed forms must be filed and the recording fee paid to the Tempe Municipal Court within 14 calendar days after the entry of judgment.

Civil and Traffic Cases - Notice of Appeal, Records Request.

Protective Order Cases - Notice of Appeal, Designation of Record, Records Request.


Bond - Civil Traffic violations require an Appeal Bond be posted with the lower court in the amount of the fine/sanction in order to stay the sentence and avoid a default judgment.

Recording Fee - Maricopa County Superior Court requires a transcript of the court proceedings.
Tempe Municipal Court will charge a fee for an audio recording of the proceedings. If the length of the proceedings is over 90 minutes, it will be necessary to provide Superior Court with a typed transcript. The Defendant will be notified if a typed transcript is needed. It is the Defendant’s responsibility to contact and pay a transcription service to pick up the audio recording and prepare the transcript and return it to Tempe Municipal Court. NOTE: The audio recording must be paid by the Notice of Appeal Deadline.


An appellant memorandum must be filed with Tempe Municipal Court within sixty (60) days of the date your Notice of Appeal was due (this is seventy-four (74) days after the ruling you are appealing). 

Maricopa County Superior Court:

Filing Fee - Superior Court will require you to pay a filing fee. You will need to contact Superior Court to find out the amount of the fee.

Transfer Of Appeal - Upon perfection of the appeal, the court will forward the case to the Superior Court for review. Once the appeal is forwarded to the Superior Court, all questions regarding the status of the appeal should be directed to the Maricopa County Superior Court at (602) 506-7438. 

More Information:

Civil and Traffic Appeal Information PDF

Criminal Appeal Information PDF

Protective Order Appeals PDF 


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer