The Judicial Advisory Board recommends to the City Council the best qualified persons to become City Magistrate, and evaluates the performance of and advises regarding the retention of current appointed magistrates. (City Code, Chapter 2, Article II, Division 2, Section 2-31)
The Judicial Advisory Board:
- seeks out and encourages qualified individuals to apply for the office of City Judge or Presiding Judge;
- conducts investigations into the background and qualifications of candidates for new appointments;
- obtains public input concerning appointments or re-appointments, to allow for confidential submissions to the Board if so requested; and,
- submits recommendations for candidates for appointment or reappointment to the Mayor and the City Council.
The Judicial Advisory Board is composed of six persons appointed by the Mayor with the approval of the City Council, including:
- the presiding judge of the Tempe Municipal Court, who shall serve as a non-voting ex-officio member except for the reappointment of the presiding judge;
- the presiding judge of the Maricopa County Superior Court, or designee, who shall also be a judge of the Maricopa County Superior Court;
- two active members in good standing of the State Bar of Arizona, who shall reside in Tempe and shall be appointed by the Mayor from among three nominees recommended by the State Bar’s Board of Governors; and,
- two public members who are residents of Tempe. No public member shall have been a party to any matters pending before any division of the Tempe Municipal Court for the five years preceding their appointment.
Members shall serve a term of three years and shall be eligible for reappointment for one additional three-year term.
The Judicial Advisory Board meets as needed, in the Tempe Municipal Court, 140 E. Fifth St., Tempe, unless otherwise noted on the meeting agenda.
Past Agendas and Minutes
- 20200203JudicialAdvisoryBoardExecSessionPublic MeetingAgenda
- 20180615JudicialAdvisoryBoardPublic MeetingAgenda
- Judicial Advisory Board-Rules of Procedure (Final)
- Quorum Notice 10-18-16
- 09172012Judical Advisory Board Agenda