Neighborhood Block Parties

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Do you want to temporarily close your neighborhood street for a party or BBQ? 

Step 1) Fill out a block party petition to get a permit

The petition must include the written approval of the head of household of each residence which abuts the street proposed for the block party. In addition, if any non-block resident is denied access because of the closure, his or her approval is also required.

Step 2) Get the barricades and signs

The city will provide barricades and street closed signs. It's the responsibility of the party organizers to pick up and return the barricades and signs to the Traffic Operations Facility, 945 West Rio Salado Parkway, Tempe, during regular city hours (before 3:30 p.m.). A refundable deposit of $25.00 is required. 

Block party permit/petition - email the permit/petition to: 

Block parties will be restricted to residential districts and will not be allowed on collector or arterial streets. No alterations of any kind are to be made to a street or sidewalk in preparation of or during a block party. Any debris caused by the users will be removed from the public right-of-way immediately following the activity.

It is the responsibility of those organizing the party to erect and remove the necessary barricades and signs. The barricades should be set at the place designated by the City Transportation Division. For safety purposes, the Transportation Division may require those organizing the party to hire Tempe police officers to direct and control traffic adjacent to the closed portion of the roadway.

The block party must be for non-profit purposes. The block parties may go until 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and no later than 1 a.m. on holidays and weekends. Entertainment such as a band, radio or any amplifying equipment should not disturb residences beyond the perimeters of the block.