Tempe City Council has adopted a citywide recycling diversion goal of 25 percent by 2020. To help reach that goal, Tempe’s Solid Waste and Recycling Services Section launched a green organics composting program that coincides with the city’s bulk trash collection. We currently offer a green organics bin pilot program in select Tempe areas.
- You're in good company! Over 1,800 Tempe residents already participate.
- Weekly collection on the same day as your recycling service
- Trim year-round without timing with your bulk trash collection
- Containers are easy to roll and store
- Fewer unsightly bulk trash piles
- Frees up room in your trash container
- Manure and grass clippings can be included
- Green organics are diverted from the landfill and returned to residents, parks and schools as compost
- Swap out additional trash bins for green organics bins and save money
Your first green organics container is FREE during the pilot program. There is a $5 fee for each additional container. Fees for additional containers will be added to your monthly utility bill.
It is important to note that this is a pilot program and the pricing is only valid during that time. The pricing structure may change based on the data analysis and City Council input at the end of the pilot program.
Participation and signup information
At this time, only residents who live in the pilot program areas can receive this service. Please check the map below to ensure your home is in one of those areas or call Tempe 311 at 480-350-4311 if you are unsure. To sign up, click on the Green Organics Service Request Form below or call 480-350-4311. Please allow up to two weeks for bin(s) delivery.
After clicking the Green Organics Service Request Form (below), in the box under "Select an issue" type the word "green." Click on Green Organics Service Request Form and fill out the form.
Containers and acceptable material
You will receive a new, green container with a sticker on top that clearly shows what items can be placed in it. In most cases, the containers will be delievered the following week. A complete list of acceptable green organics can be found here.
Pilot program completion and communication
City staff will utilize the data collected during the year-long pilot program to gauge community interest levels of participation, to analyze the content of the green bins and material diverted, and to assess the operational needs. This will lay the foundation for a citywide strategy that will be presented to City Council in the future.
Please call Tempe 311 at 480-350-4311 if you have questions about this pilot program.