by Mary Erickson, Ph.D. and Arizona art teacher Hillary Andrelchik
Tricks of Perfection provides activities that teachers can use can use
- to prepare young people to explore the Masters of Illusion exhibition at the Tempe Center for the Arts (TCA),
- to focus their attention during a visit and
- to create illusion in their own artworks.
Lesson One: Welcome to the Magic Show
Lesson Three: Tricks of the Trade
“Now You Try” PowerPoint
Tricks of Perfection PowerPoint or How did they do that? PowerPoint
Large variety of crayons
Assorted colors of construction paper
Glue or glue sticks
White drawing paper
Apples or other round shiny fruits such as apples, oranges, grapefruit, grapes, tangerines or pears. One
fruit for every 3-4 students. Choose a variety to make finished drawings more interesting. Or choose magazine photographs of fruit.
- Richard Haas for permission to use photographs of his trompe l’oeil mural.
- Patrick Bailey, Clinton T. Hobart, Ellen Murray Meissinger, John Schieffer for permission to reproduce their artwork used in Lesson Three.
- Tom Eckert for permission to reproduce his artwork for Lesson One.
- Hillary Andrelchik and Mary Erickson for photography.
- Hillary Andrelchik for sample drawings.