Carns-Buck House

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Survey Number: HPS-131
Year Built: 1914
Architectural Style: Bungalow

This building is associated with the context of Community Planning and Development. It falls under the theme of housing - custom houses in subdivision.

This house is one of few two-story homes in this area of Downtown Tempe. Two-story Bungalows are very rare.

Built by D. A. Carns in late 1914, the house is best known as the D. G. Buck House, and was one of the first homes built in the Goodwin Homes Addition which opened in May of 1914. Carns farmed near Scottsdale and was Tempe's road overseer during the 1920s. Buck emigrated to Arizona from Kansas in 1891. His major business was hauling rock and gravel, although he also owned a livery and feed stable first at 4th Street and Maple Avenue, and later at the Farmer Avenue location. Buck was a member of the City Council during the teens.

Tempe News, 7/17/14, 3:2, 6/14/22, 3:2, 7/5/22, 3:1, 6/23/34, 3:4, Interview: Helen Hawkins, 11/19/82; Tempe City Directory, 1914 - 1932