Honor the victims of September 11 at Healing Field tribute
In memory of those who perished on September 11, 2001, the Exchange Club of Tempe, along with the City of Tempe’s support, will present the 14th annual Healing Field® tribute Friday, Sept. 8 through Monday, Sept. 11.
Healing Field® is a unique memorial that gives the community the opportunity to reflect on the tragedy of that day and pay tribute to the nearly 3,000 innocent lives that were lost. Though the attacks occurred sixteen years ago, they continue to connect us every year, both as Americans and as human beings. Every year, members of the community dedicate thousands of hours to this grassroots effort, from those who coordinate and promote the events, to the workers who physically assemble the nearly 3,000 flags.
“Sixteen years have passed since the terrible attacks on September 11, 2001 and we are still saddened by the horrific events of that morning,” said Mayor Mark Mitchell. “Tempe is honored to be part of this unique event that gives community members the opportunity to remember those who lost their lives and reflect on the freedom we share as citizens of this great nation.”
For more information, visit www.tempe.gov/HealingField.
Healing Field® schedule of events
Friday, Sept. 8
- 6 a.m. – Volunteers gather for the flag installation.
- 6:30 p.m. – Freedom Concert featuring the U.S. Coast Guard Band, World Champion Trumpet Player Jesse McGuire, singers from Grand Canyon University and Valley Christian, 150 of Tempe’s most talented junior high singers.
Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 9 & 10
- Viewing of the flags is open to the public all weekend long.
Monday, Sept. 11
- 5:46 a.m. – Tribute ceremony: presentation of colors, music, prayer and the reading of the names of the first responders who gave their lives that day.
- 7 p.m. – Candlelight vigil: music, prayer and the evening’s keynote speaker, Donna Bird.
About the Exchange Club of Tempe
The Exchange Club of Tempe’s major community project annually is the 9/11 Healing Field® Memorial at Tempe Beach Park that pays tribute to the lives lost during the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.
Visit https://www.facebook.com/tempeexchange for more information.