Tempe pools, recreation centers remain open with modified programs and hours to meet new state guidelines
Tempe, AZ – Tempe pools and recreation centers will remain open with strict protocols in place to meet the new guidelines announced in Gov. Ducey’s June 29 Executive Order, which placed new restrictions on pools and closed gyms, bars, water parks and movie theaters.
The following changes are in effect at Tempe facilities:
- Open swim sessions and lap swim will continue at Kiwanis, Escalante and McClintock pools with reduced capacity. Staff will monitor for social distancing in and out of the pools to ensure the guidelines are met for groups of 10 or less. Visit tempe.gov/pools to see hours at each pool.
- All city fitness centers and gymnasiums are closed.
- All indoor exercise and fitness classes are canceled through July 27.
- All event requests will be accepted and considered on a case-by-case basis as long as adequate safety measures, including physical distancing, are proposed.
- Kid Zone and city-operated summer camps will continue to operate since they meet the guidelines of 50 people or less and are able to physically distance.
Additionally, hours at all city recreation and multigenerational centers have been modified to help meet the needs of patrons and to ensure proper cleaning and monitoring can take place.
Kiwanis Recreation Center will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday-Thursday, closed Fridays, open 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, and Noon-5:30 p.m. on Sunday.
Escalante, North Tempe and Westside multigenerational centers will be open Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Escalante will be open Saturday and Sunday from Noon-5:30 p.m. North Tempe and Westside will be closed on weekends.
Face coverings are required at all times in city facilities and around pool areas. Face coverings are not required while swimming. Temperature checks are taken before entry, and enhanced cleaning protocols are in place.
Visit tempe.gov/reopening for the most recent reopening information.
Melissa Quillard, Public Information Officer, 480-622-8157
Nikki Ripley, Communication and Media Relations Manager, 480-313-8850