Tempe proposing General Plan amendments to guide development and transportation
Tempe is currently looking at two proposed major amendments to the General Plan 2040 – the Urban Core Master Plan/Transportation Overlay District and Broadway Industrial Hub – Tempe Maker District.
The Urban Core Master Plan is designed to guide future development in Tempe’s urban core, while the updated Transportation Overlay District code will help promote transit ridership and shape development around the light rail and streetcar routes. The proposed Broadway Industrial Hub – Tempe Maker District is designed to encourage redevelopment, increased densities and diverse land use options in the area between Broadway Road, Southern Avenue, Priest Drive and Kyrene Road alignment.
Tempe’s General Plan is the overarching policy document for the city; it holds the community’s vision for the future and is an expression of how the community wants to grow and change over the next 30 years. The General Plan is designed to be a broad, flexible, living document that can be amended to respond to the changing conditions and needs of the community.
Following extensive public planning processes, efforts to help guide development and transportation in the city’s urban core and Broadway industrial area are now heading through the formal General Plan amendment process, with neighborhood meetings, Development Review Commission and City Council hearings between early July and mid-October:
- July 8 at 6 p.m. – Urban Core Master Plan & Transportation Overlay District Escalante Multi-Generational Center, 2150 E. Orange St.
- July 10 at 6 p.m. – Broadway Industrial Hub MAC6, 1430 W Broadway Road #201
- July 22 at 6 p.m. – Urban Core Master Plan & Transportation Overlay District Westside Multi-Generational Center, 715 W. Fifth St.
Development Review Commission
- Aug. 13 at 6 p.m. – General Plan Major Amendments First Hearing Tempe History Museum, 809 E. Southern Ave.
- Aug. 26 at 6 p.m. – General Plan Major Amendments Second Hearing Tempe Transportation Center, 200 E. Fifth Street
- Sept. 26 at 6 p.m. – First Hearing Tempe History Museum, 809 E. Southern Ave.
- Oct. 17 at 6 p.m. – Second Hearing Tempe History Museum, 809 E. Southern Ave.
Visit tempe.gov/GeneralPlan for more information.
Kris Baxter- Ging