Free sandbags and safety tips at Operation Sandbag event on June 1
Tempe helps residents prepare for monsoon weather with tips and resources
TEMPE, Ariz. (May 21, 2019) – Monsoon season officially begins June 15, and Tempe is helping its residents prepare. Time spent clearing rain gutters, trimming trees and lining up sandbags now can go a long way toward protecting property and keeping your family safe when summer storms hit.
The city is holding a monsoon preparedness event on Saturday, June 1, from 9 to 11 a.m. at the Solid Waste Compost Facility, 1001 N. Rio Road. During the event, Tempe Fire Medical Rescue and Police cadets will be on-site to help residents prepare sandbags, while also providing tips on how to weather the storm.
Tempe is holding a monsoon preparedness event – with sandbags, expert advice and information:
Saturday, June 1
9 to 11 a.m.
Solid Waste Compost Facility
1001 N Rio Road (access drive north of Rio Salado Parkway and Hardy Drive)
Beginning June 1, Tempe will have sand, bags and shovels available at two locations for self-service:
- Solid Waste Compost Facility: 1001 N Rio Road (access drive north of Rio Salado Parkway and Hardy Drive)
- Benedict Sports Complex: 490 W. Guadalupe Road (northwest corner of Guadalupe and Kyrene roads, east side of parking lot)
Fill bags one-half to two-thirds full, allowing bags to lie flat and nestle together to create a tight sandbag wall. Over-filled bags are too firm and can create a leaky sandbag wall. Tying bags is not necessary.
Here are some tips to help you prepare:
- Clear debris from roof gutters and downspouts
- Trim trees, especially those close to the house, to help prevent breakage and uprooting
- Pretreat pools with chlorine shock to help prevent algae growth
- Keep storm drains and gutters clear of debris. City crews are checking and clearing storm drains to allow rainwater to drain as efficiently as possible; residents can help by clearing any debris from the gutters adjacent to their property
- If you live in a flood-prone area, pack a three-day bag of supplies, including clothes and medications, in case you need to relocate quickly
- Keep pets indoors when storms are predicted
Download our Monsoon Prep Checklist for more tips on what to do before, during and after a storm to keep your family and property safe and secure. Visit tempe.gov/monsoons or call 480-350-4311 for more information. For street closures, visit tempe.gov/StreetClosures.
Media Contact: TaiAnna Yee
Public Information Officer, Transportation