Kid Zone schools will host glow parties to celebrate Lights On Afterschool
Mayor Mitchell to host rally on Oct. 25.
The City of Tempe’s Kid Zone Enrichment Program will join the 18th annual Lights On Afterschool, a nationwide series of rallies for afterschool organized by the Afterschool Alliance. Each of 14 Kid Zone sites located in the Tempe Elementary School District will host a glow party on Thursday, Oct. 25 to celebrate the importance of quality afterschool programs. Students will crack glow sticks and participate in a variety of hands-on learning activities, including STEM projects, literacy, catch active games, nutrition food demos and more.
To kick off this year’s event, Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell will host a Lights On Afterschool rally on Thursday, Oct. 25, which is open to media and the community.
- What: City of Tempe Lights On Afterschool Rally
- When: 4 p.m., Thursday, October 25, 2018
- Where: Aguilar Elementary School, 5800 S. Forest Ave., Tempe
- Who: Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell, Tempe City Councilmembers, Arizona State Legislators, school district representatives, Kid Zone staff and students, local community members
- Visuals: STEM activities including Elephant Toothpaste Science, Make-Your-Own Apple Graham Cheesecake, Catch Active Games and Life-Sized Literacy
Last year, 1 million people participated in more than 8,000 Lights On Afterschool events; the Afterschool Alliance expects the same level of participation this year. The events give youth a chance to showcase the skills and talents they develop at their afterschool programs. It also highlights the need for quality programs for millions more children and youth.
Kid Zone Before and After School Enrichment Program serves over 3,000 youth annually at 14 elementary school sites in the Tempe and Kyrene school districts. The program compliments the classroom curriculum through hands-on, experiential learning in a safe and fun environment. Topics include science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) programs, nutrition education, community gardening, homework help, sports and fine arts.
MEDIA CONTACT: Melissa Quillard, 480-350-8805, Melissa_quillard@tempe.gov