Tempe Directory of Historic Buildings
Tempe has more than 200 historic buildings. Enjoy this searchable directory of information and photos. For more information on any of these properties or to learn how your property can be listed, please contact Tempe Historic Preservation Officer John_Southard@tempe.gov
Many of the properties on the Tempe Historic Register, the National Register of Historic Places or the list of historic eligible properties are privately owned and not open to the public. Please respect the privacy of those who may be living in these houses.
Historic Eligible is a formal classification of parcels which contain buildings, structures, or sites which meet the criteria for designation as a Tempe Historic Property, but which have not been formally designated as "Historic."
How to Use This Directory
You may search this directory by the categories of Tempe Historic Register, National Historic Register and Historic Eligible Properties. Simply click the down arrow on the All Categories box below and select the one you would like to see. All the properties in that category will appear.
- Address:ASU Campus
Tempe, AZ 85281
- Historic Buildings
- National Historic Register
- Address:ASU Campus
Survey Number: HPS-171
Location: ASU Campus
Year Built: 1907/1931/1937
Architectural Style: Western Colonial
The President's House is a symmetrical two-story Western Colonial brick building with a copper shingle roof. Located on part of the original campus on the northwest corner of Normal Avenue and Tyler, the house faces south. The central entry was originally a projecting hipped porch with classical detailing. The porch was enclosed in 1937 with four-light casement windows and a 12-1ight entry door with 8-pane sidelights. The main house (35ft square) has a two-story bay window on the west and a two-story bay with fireplace on the east. The roof is hipped with projecting gables and features boxed eaves and a central hipped dormer. The double-hung windows have segmental arches. In 1931 > two rooms and a bath were added to the northwest corner.
The President's House is significant as the most intact building over 50 years old on the ASU campus. Its integrity is high with the 1931 and 1937 changes sympathetic and reversible. As the home of the university president, it is significant for its association with presidents Matthews and Gammage, the two most important leaders of this institution of higher education. Arthur Matthews was principal from 1900 to 1930 and President Emeritus for 12 more years. Grady Gammage was president through the 1940s and 1950s, and was responsible for guiding the post World War II growth which culminated in the Teachers College becoming Arizona State University. The house is also associated with territorial architect James Creighton, who designed the original Normal School (demolished). This house is the only remaining campus building associated with Creighton and is the last known design with which he was involved, having begun his career as an architect in 1885. The building was used as the president's residence until 1959, after which it was the Alumni House and Alumni Executive Offices. The building is presently occupied by the University Archives.
Source: Arizona State Historic Property Inventory, https://npgallery.nps.gov/pdfhost/docs/NRHP/Text/85000054.pdf