The train derailment near Tempe Town Lake is being investigated and cleaned up. Road closures are still in effect and Tempe Beach Park is closed. People should remain out of the area. Details at

The East Valley Bus Operations & Maintenance Facility was awarded Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Gold certification by the U.S. Green Building Council, the nation’s foremost coalition of leaders from across the building industry working to promote buildings that are environmentally responsible, profitable and healthy places to live and work. Green building is a whole-systems approach using design and building techniques to minimize environmental impact and reduce energy consumption of buildings while contributing to the health of the occupants.



The 250-bus maintenance/transit facility, which opened in summer 2007, is owned and operated by the cities of Tempe and Scottsdale and Valley Metro. The facility includes: 

75,600 sq. ft. of maintenance space 
7,100 sq. ft. of fuel and wash space 
19,650 sq. ft. of administration operations space

The bus operations and maintenance facility offers an opportunity for incorporating green building principles. This thoughtful and creative approach to the environment and the health and productivity of the employees benefits the city and the surrounding communities. 

The facility is located at 2050 W. Rio Salado Parkway just west of Priest Drive in Tempe. The cost to build the facility was $46.8 million. Funding for this project includes 50% in federal funds and 50% in local funding from the cities of Tempe and Scottsdale and from Prop 400.


EVBOM Image 1

 Sustainable strategies used during the construction:

  • recycled content in all carpet, tile, millwork and ceiling finishes
  • low volatile organic chemical emitting interior paint
  • strategically designed and located windows and natural lighting
  • wood products taken from sustainably harvested and managed forests
  • aggressive construction waste diversion efforts to divert over 98% of the waste generated during construction or roughly 3,300 tons of materials

On-going sustainable practices:

  • highly-reflective roofing membrane for flat roofs
  • oil/water separator to filter storm water run-off
  • metal canopies over buses to reduce heat island effect
  • drought-resistant native landscaping
  • fabric shade canopies
  • bus washer that reclaims and reuses 100% of available water (72% total reclaimed with remaining 28% evaporative or run-off )
  • alternative fuels for bus vehicles (liquefied natural gas and compressed natural gas)
  • low flow/dual-operation plumbing fixtures and waterless urinals
  • evaporative cooling/evaporative chilled water cooling system
  • under-floor air distribution system
  • 53% reduction in operating energy usage
  • sensor-activated lighting to reduce energy consumption of artificial light
  • double-pane/low-emissive glazing glass
  • natural lighting in all regularly occupied office spaces decomposed granite parking lot surface

Return to full list >>