YEAR BUILT: 1918
HISTORY
The Byron Redden House was built in 1918 as part of the Gage Addition, a subdivision that makes up the northernmost part of the Maple-Ash Neighborhood. It is one of the last bungalows remaining that was built during Tempe’s first building boom, which took place between 1915 and the early 1930s.
Originally built in 1918 by Charles H. Gage, the house was bought by Byron Redden in 1920. Redden moved from California to Arizona in the early 1880s. He became a successful rancher and served 25 years as an irrigation canal manager for the Tempe Canal Company. He died in 1939 but the Redden family continued to occupy the house until 1942.
ARCHITECTURE
The Byron Redden House is a one-story bungalow-style frame house covered in stucco with a concrete foundation. The bungalow style is most evident in the house’s low-pitched intersecting gable roof, square triplet, latticework vents, the front gable end, open eaves, and broad overhangs. A water table encircles the house at the floor line, and a flight of stairs lead to a front entry that is framed by a stepped, low concrete wall.
The front façade has a triplet of windows: two small double-hung windows framing a larger double-hung window. There are two windows on the porch, one six-light and one rectangular double-hung window. Other windows are individually placed and have wood frames.
BIBLIOGRAPHY
Janus Associates. “Inventory Number 123.” In Tempe Historic Property Survey. 1983.
Ryden Architects. “Survey Site No T-123.” In City of Tempe Multiple Resource Area Update: Final Report, Volume Two: Inventory Forms. 1997.
Tempe History Museum. Byron Alton Redden. Accessed November 17, 2025. https://emuseum.tempe.gov/people/5163/byron-alton-redden.