Tempe Directory of Historic Buildings 

Tempe has more than 200 historic buildings. Enjoy this searchable directory of information and photos.  For more information on any of these properties or to learn how your property can be listed, please contact Tempe Historic Preservation Officer John_Southard@tempe.gov 

Many of the properties on the Tempe Historic Register, the National Register of Historic Places or the list of historic eligible properties are privately owned and not open to the public. Please respect the privacy of those who may be living in these houses. 

Historic Eligible is a formal classification of parcels which contain buildings, structures, or sites which meet the criteria for designation as a Tempe Historic Property, but which have not been formally designated as "Historic." 

How to Use This Directory

You may search this directory by the categories of Tempe Historic Register, National Historic Register and Historic Eligible Properties. Simply click the down arrow on the All Categories box below and select the one you would like to see. All the properties in that category will appear.  

Location:  948 S. Ash Ave.
Survey Number: HPS-123
Year Built: 1918
Architectural Style: Bungalow

The 1918 Bungalow style Byron Redden House is significant for its association with the Gage Addition, with Byron Redden, and as one of the remaining bungalows built during Tempe’s building boom between 1915 and the early 1930s.

The Gage Addition west of ASU is the northern part of the Maple-Ash neighborhood and one of the best preserved and oldest neighborhoods in Tempe. Eligible for historic district designation, it includes homes built in the early 1900s, along with newer houses dating to the 1940s and '50s. This area of the Gage Addition retains the original character of the large residential lots and lush flood irrigated landscapes characteristic Tempe at the turn-of-the-century.

The house was built in 1918 by Charles H. Gable, and was bought by Byron Redden in 1920. The Redden family occupied the house until 1942. Byron Redden arrived in Arizona from California in the early 1880s. He was a successful rancher and served 25 years as a zanjero (irrigation canal manager) for the Tempe Canal Company. Redden died at the family home in 1939.

The house is one of the remaining bungalows built during Tempe’s building boom between 1915 and the early 1930s. The popular bungalow style played a part in solving the city’s housing shortage, providing modest homes for the growing population. The Byron Redden House is a single-story, frame house clad in stucco with a concrete foundation. The bungalow styling of the house is most evident in the low-pitched intersecting gable roof, square triplet, latticework vents, in the front gable end, open eaves, and broad overhangs. A concrete water table encircles the house at the floor line. A flight of stairs leading to the front entry is framed with stepped, low concrete walls. Windows on the front porch are two, six-light and one rectangular double-hung window. The front façade features a triplet of windows, two small double hung framing a larger double hung. Other windows are individually placed and all are wood framed consistent with the style. The house is a noteworthy as a well maintained example of bungalow styling and was originally built with a solar hot water system, later removed after deterioration. A bay window with shed roof and open eaves has been added to the south side of the house. Although the front and rear porches have been enclosed, this house retains its distinctive bungalow styling and is in excellent condition. The garage and apartments at the rear of the property were built after the Redden’s sold the property.

National Register Nomination, 1981
Return to full list >>