Tempe Directory of Historic Buildings
Tempe has more than 200 historic buildings. Enjoy this searchable directory of information and photos. For more information on any of these properties or to learn how your property can be listed, please contact Tempe Historic Preservation Officer John_Southard@tempe.gov
Many of the properties on the Tempe Historic Register, the National Register of Historic Places or the list of historic eligible properties are privately owned and not open to the public. Please respect the privacy of those who may be living in these houses.
Historic Eligible is a formal classification of parcels which contain buildings, structures, or sites which meet the criteria for designation as a Tempe Historic Property, but which have not been formally designated as "Historic."
How to Use This Directory
You may search this directory by the categories of Tempe Historic Register, National Historic Register and Historic Eligible Properties. Simply click the down arrow on the All Categories box below and select the one you would like to see. All the properties in that category will appear.
Morrow Hudson HouseCategories:
- Historic Buildings
- Historic Eligible Properties
- National Historic Register
Survey Number: HPS-102
Year Built: 1904
Architectural Style: Queen Anne Victorian
The Morrow - Hudson House is significant for its association with Thomas Morrow, one of the first homesteaders south of the Salt River near Tempe; and with E. W. Hudson, the man who leveled the Salt River Valley
A: HISTORIC EVENTS
Thomas Morrow was one of the first homesteaders south of the Salt River near Tempe. He became instrumental in development and expansion of the local canal system and the opening up of large amounts of desert acreage to agricultural use.
During his 35 years as a farmer and cattle rancher, Thomas Morrow also served as a director of the Tempe Irrigating Canal Co., was zanjero of the Tempe Canal, supervised its widening as well as construction of many of he laterals which extended water to the lands served by the Canal system. Thomas Morrow donated land for the Rural School.
Estmer (E.W.) Hudson was an Arizona pioneer who played an important role in the development of Arizona’s agricultural resources, especially the development of Pima cotton. In 1916, with Charles Henry Waterhouse and through the Arizona Agricultural Extension Service he helped introduce the new Egyptian cotton, commonly known as Pima cotton. The war-time cotton demand lead to vast areas of irrigable land being precisely leveled to meet the demands of this hybrid. This requirement almost literally paved the way for subsequent development of the fields for residential subdivisions. When World War I ended and the demand for cotton diminished Hudson moved onto other pursuits. In 1920, Hudson purchased 160 acres of land in what was then south Tempe and began a second career as a residential developer. His first project was College View and University Heights (1946-53) followed by Hudson Manor (1948-55) and Hudson Park (1958-59). Ultimately, he converted his vast land holdings (over 1,000 acres) in Tempe into residential development while he and his family resided in the Thomas Morrow house which he had remodeled.
Built in 1904, this large brick house is all that remains of the original 160-acre Thomas Morrow homestead. Although this building has gone through some alterations it still retains its Queen Anne Victorian style and its overall historic character.
National Register Nomination, 1984
Tempe History Museum Tempe Historic Property Survey - Morrow/Hudson House