Tempe Directory of Historic Buildings
Tempe has more than 200 historic buildings. Enjoy this searchable directory of information and photos. For more information on any of these properties or to learn how your property can be listed, please contact Tempe Historic Preservation Officer John_Southard@tempe.gov
Many of the properties on the Tempe Historic Register, the National Register of Historic Places or the list of historic eligible properties are privately owned and not open to the public. Please respect the privacy of those who may be living in these houses.
Historic Eligible is a formal classification of parcels which contain buildings, structures, or sites which meet the criteria for designation as a Tempe Historic Property, but which have not been formally designated as "Historic."
How to Use This Directory
You may search this directory by the categories of Tempe Historic Register, National Historic Register and Historic Eligible Properties. Simply click the down arrow on the All Categories box below and select the one you would like to see. All the properties in that category will appear.
Brown/ Strong HouseCategories:
- Historic Eligible Properties
Location: 604 S. Ash Avenue
Survey Number: HPS-119
Year Built: 1883
Architectural Style: Neo-Colonial
The 1883 Neo-Colonial/Georgian Revival style Brown/Strong House is significant for its association with Samuel Brown, a former Mayor of Tempe; with William Strong, a territorial rancher; and as a rare surviving example of one of Tempe's earliest homes.
This large Territorial style house was originally built as a small flat-roofed adobe home for Samuel Brown in 1883. Brown was a blacksmith who served as a member of the Territorial Legislature, Mayor of Tempe, and long-time President of the Alianza Hispano-Americana, an early civil rights organization.
Samuel Brown was a blacksmith who came to Tempe in 1878 and started working for Charles T. Hayden. By 1883, he opened his own blacksmith shop at 6th Street and Mill, along with a partner named White and later had a partnership with Alejandro Moraga, with a shop at 7th Street and Ash Avenue. He also operated a saloon. Brown was actively involved in local and territorial politics and was elected to the 20th Territorial Legislature. He then served two terms on the Tempe Town Council, from 1898 to 1904, and was Mayor of Tempe, 1902-1903. On May 4, 1903, he resigned as Mayor to take the position of Town Marshal, tax collector, and supervisor of streets until 1912. Brown was also on the Board of Trustees for both the Tempe Elementary School District and the Tempe Union High School District.
Samuel Brown was also an important Mexican-American leader. In 1897, he helped organize Lodge No. 5 of the Alianza Hispano-Americana (Spanish-American Alliance). This organization helped protect the legal rights of Hispanic people throughout the Southwest, and fought against segregation and racial discrimination. Samuel Brown served as Supreme President of the Tucson-based Alianza Hispano-Americana for 26 years, from 1902 to 1927.
The Brown/Strong House is a rare surviving example of Tempe's earliest homes. The house is representative of the Georgian Revival and Southern Colonial styles of architecture that were popular in Arizona around the turn of the century. Its design combines regional, vernacular material, adobe, with the high-style massing and detailing of Eastlake Victorian. William H. Strong purchased the property in 1901 and expanded the house, using brick and "high-style" detailing to create the present Neo-Colonial/Georgian Revival appearance, complete with wrap-around veranda and simulated "widow's walk." The surrounding screened veranda and thick, insulating adobe walls demonstrate passive solar design strategies used in the arid southwest during the 19th century.
Tempe History Museum Historic Property Survey: HPS-119 Brown/Strong House
Tempe History Museum Biographical File: Samuel Brown (1852-c1929)
Tempe Historical Museum Research Library. See the File Contents for HPS-119
Tempe Community Development Department Three Decades of Development