Park Locations

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Scudder park, like many in Tempe, is named in honor of two long-time Tempe pioneers, Benjamin and Rebecca Scudder. 

Both Benjamin and Rebecca were born in Indiana where they were raised and later wed. After completing college they moved to Tempe, where Benjamin was a teacher at the Territorial Normal School (ASU) in the early 1900’s. Soon after, he departed to become the first principal and superintendent of Tempe High School and the Tempe Union High School District. 

The Scudder’s were also pioneers in the early development of affordable housing in Tempe. Benjamin and Rebecca were responsible for the construction of many inexpensive homes in Tempe between 1900 and 1930. Benjamin was elected to the Tempe City Council in 1930 and served his community for one term until 1933. 

Soon after leaving office, Benjamin passed away on July 19, 1936 and was laid to rest at Tempe Double Butte Cemetery where he was followed by his wife Rebecca in 1946. Through the efforts of the many Tempe pioneers like the Scudder’s, Tempe’s commitment to education continued to grow and foster. It is with pride that Tempe named one of the many park sites adjacent to a public school in honor of their service to the community. 

Park size is 4 acres.
Return to full list >>