Campbell Park - Hours 6 a.m. - 12 a.m.Amenities:
- Picnic Tables
- Soccer Field
- Softball Fields
- Volleyball Courts
Campbell Park is located in south Tempe at what can honestly be stated as the far southwest corner of Tempe. Located on 8 acres in the Sierra Tempe development, Campbell Park became the 43rd park in the City of Tempe upon it’s dedication in November 1994.
Campbell Park was named in honor of Rudy Campbell, Tempe’s first directly elected mayor. Rudy was born in Oklahoma and traveled west to Arizona with his family who were migrant farm workers. Upon arriving in Arizona, the Campbell family settled in Mesa. With the outbreak of World War II, Rudy joined the military and served his country admirably.
After completing his military service, Rudy returned to Arizona and began a career in banking with the Bank of Douglas located in downtown Tempe. He served one term as councilman from 1958-1962 and became the City’s first directly elected Mayor in 1966 after the voters approved Tempe’s City Charter in 1964.
Mr. Campbell is known for his extensive contributions to the community. He was the founding chairman of the board for the Arizona State University Research Park in south Tempe and former chairman of the Sun Angel Foundation. In 1958, he was selected as Tempe’s Citizen of the Year and most recently he served as a member of the Arizona Board of Regents.
Park size is 8 acres.