As we approach Thanksgiving and the holiday season, the Tempe Police Department wants to do all we can to assure families in our community stay safe!
During the holidays, the potential for thefts and robberies increase. More people are out and about, carrying more gifts and money than during other times of the year. We encourage you to please keep in mind the following holiday safety reminders:
• Carry your valuables wisely. Do not keep cash in your wallet. Instead, keep it in an inside pocket and only carry the credit cards you'll need.
• Do not leave valuables in your vehicle. If you must leave packages in your car, put them in the trunk. Keep receipts with you.
• Carry a cell phone with you. If someone makes you suspicious or uncomfortable, notify security or call the police.
• Whenever possible, park and walk in well-lit areas. Be aware of your surroundings, especially the people around you. Have your keys in hand.
• Carry your purse close to you. Keep the opening or flap towards your body. Never leave a purse in a shopping cart.
• While in shopping center parking lots. Be aware of who is around you. Make a note of where you park. Hold onto your children’s hands. Be sure to have your keys in your hand prior to heading to your car.
• No sale deal is worth getting into an argument over with another customer. Consider talking with store management or asking security to handle the situation, or just simply walk away from a potential altercation.
• Do not keep a wallet, credit cards or cash in a backpack. If you are in a crowd, consider carrying the backpack in front of you. Pickpockets can quickly and easily remove items from a backpack without being noticed by the owner.
• Protect your credit card numbers and other personal information. Carefully dispose of receipts that have a credit card number on them. Never provide credit card information in response to unsolicited calls or emails.
• Don't announce your new high-dollar purchases. Break down boxes labeled TVs, stereos, computers, etc.; turn them inside out before placing into the trash.
• If you are traveling for the holidays, make your home look "lived in". Have a friend or neighbor collect your mail and newspapers or have your service suspended while you are away. Use timers to turn lights off and on.
• The men and women of the Tempe Police Department wish you a safe and happy holiday season!
~~Call 9-1-1 in Emergency~~
~~Tempe Police Non-Emergency 480-350-8311~~