To celebrate Tempe Bike Month, the city of Tempe will hold its 17th annual Tour de Tempe community bike ride on April 7 and 21st annual Bike to Work Day event on April 17. The purpose of Bike Month is to encourage people to use bicycles as an alternative mode of transportation.
Tour de Tempe
More than 1,000 people are expected to participate in the Tour de Tempe community bike ride on April 7 from 7:30 – 11 a.m. at Kiwanis Park, 6111 S. All America Way in the west parking lot north of Guadalupe Road across from the batting cages. This free 10-mile bike ride is led by Mayor Mark Mitchell and members of the Tempe City Council. Registration starts at 7:30 a.m. with the ride starting at 9 a.m. Register the day of the event. Online registration closed April 2, 2013.
Map of 2013 route.
Free t-shirts will be available for the first 1,000 riders and helmets are required. Breakfast foods and coffee will be provided by Wildflower Bread Company, Whole Foods, Back East Bagels and Starbucks. Please bring your own water.
The Bicycle Cellar, Global Bikes and REI will be on hand to provide bike demonstrations, safety tips and bike tune-ups.
Bike to Work Day
On April 17 from 6:30 to 8 a.m., all bicycle riders who stop by one of the participating Bike to Work Day locations in Tempe will receive a free breakfast and the first 350 riders will receive free T-shirts. At 7 a.m., join Mayor Mark Mitchell along with members of the Tempe City Council on a bike ride from Whole Foods Market to NCounter in downtown Tempe. Breakfast site locations include:
• Back East Bagels (northwest corner of Southern Avenue and McClintock Drive)
• Berning’s Fine Jewelry (southwest corner of McClintock Drive and Warner Road)
• IKEA (northwest corner of Warner Road and Priest Drive)
• REI (Daley Park on the northeast corner of College Avenue and Encanto Drive)
• Ncounter (southwest corner of Mill Avenue and 3rd Street)
• Wildflower Bread Company (southwest corner of McClintock Drive and Guadalupe Road)
• Whole Foods Market (northwest corner of Rural and Baseline roads)
Tempe Bike Month sponsors include Back East Bagels, Berning’s Fine Jewelry, IKEA, REI, Ncounter, Whole Foods Market and Wildflower Bread Company, The Bicycle Cellar and Starbucks.
For more information about Bike Month call 480-350-8663.