Joyce Park was named in honor of Fred Joyce (1881-1967) who came to Tempe in 1911 after having graduated from the Missouri School of Mines. Prior to his arrival in Tempe, Fred spent time in the mining industry as an assayer and chemist in Leadville, CO, Chihuahua, Mexico and Ray, AZ. In his early years working in mining, Fred began additional work as an insurance agent for the Mutual Life Insurance Company of New York where he was employed until 1953.
In 1924, Fred partnered with Hugh Laird and platted the Park Tract subdivision to address a critical housing shortage in Tempe. The Park Tract is largely made up of the Maple Ash neighborhood comprising the area from 10th to 13th Street from Mill to the railroad tracks.
Fred continued his insurance practice in Tempe and also was active in many civic clubs and programs. He served as a Tempe City Councilman from 1922-26, served on the Board of Directors for the Arizona Public Service Company (APS) from 1935-1965, was a member of the Arizona State Teachers College (ASTC) Board of Education from 1929-1933, charter member of first president of the Tempe Rotary Club, and was a member of the Elks Club, Arizona Club, and Phoenix Country Club.
Fred lived most of his time in Tempe at 830 S. Forest until his property was purchased by ASU for campus expansion. Through his numerous, social civic and community associations, Fred always advanced the interests and needs of Tempe. He will be remembered for his work in helping to guide the growth and development of both Tempe and the region. Tempe is a better community from the work of Fred Joyce and Tempe has bestowed one the highest honors possible by naming a neighborhood park in his honor.
Park size is 4.6 acres.