Rural Rd. and Knox Rd.
- Picnic Tables
- Basketball Courts
- Soccer Field
- Volleyball Court
Hanger Park serves dual purposes providing much needed recreational activities to the citizens of Tempe and the providing of flood protection to the larger metropolitan area as an overflow retention basin for the Gila Drain.
Constructed during the late 80’s as part of the Warner Ranch development, Hanger Park is named in honor of long-time residents Carl and Lillian Hanger. The Hanger’s lived in Tempe on south McClintock from 1926 to 1950. During their time in Tempe, Carl served a president of the Kyrene Farm Bureau and was active with other local, county and state farm bureaus throughout Arizona.
Carl and Lillian were also very active on Tempe’s numerous civic organizations including 4-H, scouts and the board of the First United Methodist Church in Tempe. Lillian served as president of the Kyrene School PTA and initiated and directed summer library and reading programs for children in the Kyrene district. Carl served as a member of the Tempe Union High School District governing board and with his son Dick helped manage one of the largest dairies in Maricopa County on their south McClintock homestead.
The Hangers had seven children, many of whom still reside in the area and carry on the proud tradition of civic engagement and service to others.
Park size is 15 acres.