8th St. & Una
- Picnic Tables
- Basketball Courts
- Dog Park
Creamery Park is one of the few parks in Tempe that was named in honor of a significant historical element in the community rather than for a significant citizen or service club. The park is one of the smallest parks in Tempe at just under 3 acres. Built in 1999, the park resulted from an agreement with the developer of the residential complex to the north and the city to utilize the retention requirements for the development for a public park. The neighborhood between Rural Road and McClintock, Apache to University was one of the few residential areas of Tempe not served by a public park.
Unlike many of Tempe’s other parks, there was movement at the time to select a name based more on the historical context of the park. Members of the Tempe Parks and Recreation Board sought out historical information on the overall site and recommended the name Creamery Park to recognize the significance the old Tempe Creamery played in the lives of many Tempeans.
The original creamery was built in 1892 and operated as F.A. Hough’s ice plant. Soon after, it was modified for processing dairy products and began operations as the Tempe Creamery and the Tempe-Mesa Produce Company. It later became know as the Pacific Creamery and operated as a local independent creamery until sold to the Borden Milk Company in 1927.
From 1927 until it’s closure in 1953, the Borden Company operated the creamery and was one of the major employers in Tempe. Many Tempe residents worked at and have fond memories of the creamery and the products manufactured there. From 1953 until it’s purchase by the Four Peaks Brewing Company, the building remained largely unused. Since its more recent renovation, it has become a prominent local restaurant. While few of us may remember the days when the Creamery produced a bevy of dairy products, its adaptive reuse brings some of Tempe’s past to life today.
Park size is 2.8 acres.