The City of Tempe provides Flood Irrigation Service to approximately 900 residential customers and 16 City Parks. More than 14,500 individual irrigation deliveries are performed each year. Our services include both operation and maintenance of the distribution system on behalf of our irrigation customers.
Proposed Rate & Program Changes
The City of Tempe is evaluating the Flood Irrigation Program, both how it delivers irrigation and the rate structure. The City is committed to providing the reliable flood irrigation service customers are accustomed to, with a renewed focus on infrastructure repair and asset management.
Several flood irrigation customers participated in a series of Flood Irrigation Workshops during August, September and January. The workshops allowed select stakeholders to discuss priorities for the program and provide valuable input regarding neighborhood and community benefits provided by the program. This dialogue has been useful for developing a just and reasonable rate structure that allows for recovery of programmatic costs and accounts for those community benefits which are less easily quantified.
1. Study to identify Program users, self-service users, potential users
2. Identify capital expense required to make service available to potential users
3. Develop marketing plan to build Program customer base
4. Use study to identify areas suitable for possible Irrigation District(s)
1. Paying proportional share
2. Include $100,000 capital costs for larger system repairs
3. Full cost-of-service recovery over five years
4. Cost adjustment to affirm value of mature tree canopy