Tempe has enhanced its Mixed Bulk Trash and Green Organics program to provide a more environmentally-friendly service while also reducing costs, fuel usage and vehicle emissions. The this program includes convenient mixed bulk trash collection and an optional program to recycle and compost most of your yard trimmings. Please check your area map at the link below for your collection schedule. Note to homeowners: City code states that landscapers cannot utilize alleys for disposal - only homeowners who do the work themselves can place their green waste in alleys.
Mixed Bulk Trash
Tempe residents receive mixed bulk trash pickups every other month. This material is too big to fit in your regular trash bin. All of it is taken to the landfill.
- Furniture, large items
- Non-Freon appliances (washers and microwaves)
- Appliances with Freon (refrigerators, freezers, dehumidifiers, ac units)
- Hazardous materials (paints, oil)
- Construction and remodeling waste (drywall, flooring and roofing materials)
These items can be recycled at Tempe's Household Products Collection Center.
The city has also reinvented its Green Organics program, which turns most yard waste into nutrient-rich compost. These optional pickups will occur seasonally, in spring, fall and winter, to coincide with the growing and trimming seasons. There will be a total of 3 pickups each year. Instead of going to the landfill, this material is taken to the city’s composting facility where it is recycled.
- Tree trimmings and brush (tree limbs, branches, trunks and stumps) 4 foot lengths max or less and no more than 19 inches in diameter.
- Leaves, pine needles, grass, small hedge clippings and weeds (placed in cardboard box or compostable bag)
- Cactus clippings (placed in cardboard box)
- Palm fronds and oleanders (These were previously not accepted. Now they are!)
- Bulk trash items (as listed above)
- Hazardous materials (paints, oil)
GREEN BIN PILOT PROGRAM
- Yard waste, including grass
- Palm fronds and oleanders are not yet accepted into the GREEN BINS
- Click here for specific pilot program information which varies from other City collections programs.
The amount of green and mixed waste allowed for each collection will be limited to approximately 10 cubic yards – roughly the size of a small compact car.
WHEN TO PUT OUT YOUR MATERIAL
Items should be placed out for collection no earlier than 10 days prior to the Monday of your collection week and no later than 5:30 a.m. on Monday of your collection week. Residents with alleys: Please consider placing your items out the weekend immediately prior to the start of your collection week to reduce contamination and increase diversion from the landfill. Place all items in the alley along your fence line so the collection vehicles can pass. Bulky items must be a minimum of four feet from utility boxes and four feet from the green organics bulk pile.
Helpful tip: Plan your major brush and bulk disposal projects around the city’s collection schedule to avoid putting out your material too early. Residents who place their material out prior to the 10-day rule are subject to fines.
Alternative Pickup Options
Need service during your off-month? Tempe residents have two convenient alternatives to curbside and alley pickup.
TRANSFER STATION (public dump)
Tempe residents have access to a transfer station for delivering bulk trash - up to 1,000 pounds, once per month - at no charge:
- Sky Harbor Regional Transfer Station
2425 S. 40th Street, Phoenix
Residents can request a Bulk Trash or Green Organics pickup outside of their regular schedule for a fee. Call 480.350.4311 for current prices or to schedule a pickup.