Green Organic collection begins in March
IMPORTANT INFO REGARDING YOUR MIXED BULK AND GREEN ORGANICS COLLECTION: Residents should make two separate piles - one for mixed bulk trash and one for green organics. The material is collected by two separate trucks and pickup may occur on separate days.
Tempe has enhanced its Bulk Trash and Green Organics program to provide a more environmentally-friendly service while also reducing costs. The 2015 schedule includes more frequent pickups for mixed bulk trash and an optional program to recycle and compost your green waste. Click here for more information on the program and follow the link below for your 2015 pickup schedule.
2015 Bench the Bag contest
Several Tempe schools are competing to be crowned this year's Bench the Bag recycling champion. The schools will collect plastic grocery bags between Feb. 17 and March 6. The school with the most bags will receive a new bench made of recycled materials, courtesy of Trex, and an assembly during Earth Month this April. This year's participating schools are: Fuller, Arredondo, Broadmor, Carminati, Gililland, Connolly, Kyrene de los Ninos, C.I. Wagonner, Mariposa and Manitas.
Week 1 results: 395.5 lbs collected and 29,662 bags diverted from the landfill
Plastic bag recycling facts
- Plastic bags take a long time to biodegrade and can harm the environment if improperly disposed.
- They can’t go in your blue bin because they can get caught in the sorting equipment at the recycling facility. That’s why it’s important to recycle them separately with programs like Bench the Bag or at grocery store collection centers.
- Dirty plastic bags can interfere with the recycling process and will likely end up as trash. Always empty your bags of receipts and litter before recycling them.
- Plastic bags are very light, which means large quantities are needed to be marketable for recyclers. This is another reason they should be collected separately.
- Recycled plastic bags are commonly used to make lumber and new bags.
- It takes approximately 2,000 plastic bags to equal 30 pounds of plastic.
SOLID WASTE AND RECYCLING SERVICES