Special Use Permit


A Special Use Permit is required for work in the right-of-way when its not related to the following work:

  • Paving
  • Sewer
  • Water
  • Drainage
  • Grading
  • Street Lights
  • Pot Holes
  • Trenching
  • Underground Fire Lines
  • Utilities

If the work to be performed in the right-of-way is not permitted by one of the above listed permit types, follow the procedure below to apply for a Special Use Permit:

NOTICE:  Before any permits can be issued, customer must contact the Engineering Division (480-350-8288; engineering_techserv@tempe.gov) and submit a Insurance Certificate, Contractor’s License (ROC), and a current Tempe Privilege Tax Number. (Engineering will review within 24 hours.)

  1. Comple the Special Use Permit application, including a map of the site and placement.
  2. Submit the completed application to the Engineering Division (engineering_techserv@tempe.gov) & Traffic Engineering (trafficbarricade@tempe.gov) for review and approval. (Traffic Engineering will review within 48 hours.) Application can also be submitted via fax (480-350-8878) or by mail at P.O. Box 5002, Tempe, AZ, 85280; or visit the office at 31 E. Fifth Street.
  3. Once customer's Insurance, Contractor's License, Privilege Tax # and Application is approved, the Customer needs to visit our office (31 E 5th Street, Tempe AZ 85281, Garden Level -Engineering Dept) to sign and pay for the permit by 4:00 pm.
  4. The Engineering Division will provide a SU permit number, then the customer must submit the traffic control plan with the permit number to (trafficbarricade@tempe.gov) or fax to (480-350-8878).


If the work is to be done during after-hours, the customer must contact Neighborhood Services (480-350-8223) to obtain an approval letter to work during the times requested.  The permit will not be issued, unless we have received this approved letter.