To find this page again,
use this shortcut: www.tempe.gov/TempePRE
Learn more about Tempe PRE at an upcoming community meeting
- Thursday, July 13, at 5:30 p.m. at the Tempe History Museum, 809 E. Southern Ave.
High-quality, citywide, free preschools for qualifying children ages 3 and 4
Tempe PRE is a two-year pilot program launched by the Tempe City Council to increase access to high-quality preschool at no cost for qualifying families. Families that are eligible for the program must live in Tempe and be living at or below 200 percent of the Federal Poverty Level.
School year begins in early August; schedule depends on local school districts.
Tempe PRE is open to
- Children who live in Tempe
- Children who are age 3 or 4 by July 31, 2017
- Children who are potty-trained
- Families that meet income guidelines - living at or below 200 percent of Federal Poverty Level, click here.
Tempe PRE classrooms have
- Certified teachers hired and supervised by local school districts
- Well-trained instructional assistants
- HighScope curriculum which is child-centered and play-based
Tempe PRE programs offers
- Convenient locations at local elementary schools
- Full day, approximately 6 hours, Monday - Friday
- Optional before- and after-school extended learning at most sites
- Optional full-day summer program 2018
- Healthy meals and snacks
- Parenting support classes
- Evaluation of your child’s progress
Tempe PRE selection process
- Space is limited, selections will be made by random drawings
- Applications will be accepted online until all seats are filled
- Please have your applications in by Friday, July 14; the next drawing is on July 17, 2017
- After each drawing, parents will be notified if child is selected into program
City of Tempe / Human Services Department / Education, Families and Youth Development
Recorded information: 480-858-PreK (7735)
To sign up for e-mail updates,please go to www.tempe.gov/TempePRENews.
March 20, 2017 Press Release: Tempe to launch free preschool for income-eligible children