27th Annual Mayors Disability Awards
Wednesday, May 6, 2015
3 - 5:30 p.m.
Tempe History Museum Community Room
809 E. Southern Ave., Tempe
Save the Date!
For 27 years, since 1988, the City of Tempe has proudly supported and sponsored the Tempe Mayor’s Disability Awards. These awards honor achievements of exceptional individuals with disabilities, employers who have demonstrated a strong commitment to employing people with disabilities and others who have shown dedication for improving the quality of life for all Tempe residents.
Help Tempe celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act by joining with the Mayor, City Council, the Mayor’s Commission on Disability Concerns, the Tempe Diablos and the Tempe Community Council by attending the event, supporting the awards ceremony, and by submitting nominations for people or businesses you believe should be honored for their abilities and commitment to improving the quality of life in Tempe. Your participation in any capacity is greatly appreciated!
Become a Sponsor!
Click here for the Sponsorship Packet and Sponsorship Commitment Form
Sponsorship Deadline: March 6, 2015
Nominate someone for a Disability Award! (Online nomination form coming soon)
Outstanding Student Employer of the year
Youth Ability Adult Ability
Business Leadership Valued Community Service
Exceptional Educator Accessibility
Emerging Leader Pride of the City
To be eligible for an award nominees must work, live, attend school or impact people in Tempe.
Award Category Details
- Outstanding Student – The Tempe Diablos provide scholarships that recognize outstanding Tempe high school seniors with disabilities who demonstrate dedication and success as a student, employee or volunteer.
- Employer of the Year – Honors a Tempe business or organization that employs individuals with disabilities.
- Youth Ability Award – Recognizes a young person, with disabilities, aged 18 or younger, who has overcome challenges and/or helped advance the rights of individuals with disabilities.
- Adult Ability Award – Presented in recognition of a person with disabilities, aged 18 or older, who has overcome challenges and/or helped advance the rights of individuals with disabilities.
- Exceptional Educator – Honors a teacher, school staff member or school support person who has provided exceptional education and support to students with disabilities.
- Emerging Leader Award – Recognizes an individual, aged 18-30, who has demonstrated leadership by raising awareness and/or improving services to the disabled community.
- Business Leadership Award – Recognizes a business that has improved access or increased employment opportunities for Tempe residents with disabilities.
- Accessibility Award – Recognizes a business or Tempe resident, architect, developer, planner or Tempe city department that has improved access for the physically challenged to private or public buildings, outdoor spaces, transportation and other areas.
- Valued Community Service – Honors a person, organization or business that has made a significant contribution by providing or improving personal and community support for individuals with disabilities.
- Pride of the City – Recognizes an individual, group, business or organization that has demonstrated a long term commitment to improving the quality of life for all the residents of Tempe.
Be a part of this important event by
- Submitting a nomination (online nomination form coming soon)
- Being a financial sponsor --Click here for the Sponsorship Packet
- Attending the celebration on May 6, 2015 (registration form coming soon)
FOR MORE INFORMATION or to request a presentation on event information:
City of Tempe – Diversity Department
31 East 5th Street, Tempe, AZ 85281
The Tempe History Museum is wheelchair accessible; an ASL Interpreter will be provided. This event is smoke-free and fragrance-free; please do not wear scented products to the event. Food may include those prepared in locations containing dairy or nuts. Please contact us to request the following:
___ Listening system (FM headphones /neck loop)
___ Live Captioning
___ Signed English
___ Other: ______________________
Contact Michele_Stokes@tempe.gov to discuss.
Help celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the ADA! Visit http://www.adaanniversary.org/ for more information.