27th Annual Mayors Disability Awards
Wednesday, May 6, 2015
3 - 5:30 p.m.
Tempe History Museum Community Room
809 E. Southern Ave., Tempe
Save the Date!
For 27 years, since 1988, the City of Tempe has proudly supported and sponsored the Tempe Mayor’s Disability Awards. These awards honor achievements of exceptional individuals with disabilities, employers who have demonstrated a strong commitment to employing people with disabilities and others who have shown dedication for improving the quality of life for all Tempe residents.
Help Tempe celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act by joining with the Mayor, City Council, the Mayor’s Commission on Disability Concerns, the Tempe Diablos and the Tempe Community Council by attending the event, supporting the awards ceremony, and by submitting nominations for people or businesses you believe should be honored for their abilities and commitment to improving the quality of life in Tempe. Your participation in any capacity is greatly appreciated!
Register to Attend!
There are four ways you can register to attend the Mayor's Disability Awards:
- Call 480-350-2770 to leave a message at our RSVP Registration Line. Leave a message with your name, spelling it out, business name (if applicable), address, e-mail, and phone number. Please indicate if you need a disability accommodation to enjoy the celebration. If others are coming with you, please provide their information also.
- E-mail Michele Stokes at Michele_stokes@tempe.gov with your name, business name (if applicable), address, e-mail address, and phone number. Please indicate if you need any disability accommodations to enjoy the celebration. If others are coming with you please provide their information also.
- TTY -- 480-350-4800 or call the number above via 711 Telecommunications Relay Service. Leave a message with your name, spelling it out, business name, address, e-mail, and phone number. Please indicate if you need a disability accommodation to enjoy the celebration. If others are coming with you please provide their information also.
- Mail or in person -- Michele Stokes, 31 E. Fifth St., Tempe, AZ 85281. Provide your name, business name (if applicable), address, e-mail address, and phone number. Please indicate if you need a disability accommodation to enjoy the celebration. If others are coming with you please provide their information also.
Become a Sponsor!
Click here for the Sponsorship Packet and Sponsorship Commitment Form
Nominate Someone for a Disability Award!
Click here for the online nomination form. Nomination deadline has been extended to April 1, 2015.
Outstanding Student Employer of the year
Youth Ability Adult Ability
Business Leadership Valued Community Service
Exceptional Educator Accessibility
Emerging Leader Pride of the City
To be eligible for an award nominees must work, live, attend school or impact people in Tempe.
Award Category Details
- Outstanding Student – The Tempe Diablos provide scholarships that recognize outstanding Tempe high school seniors with disabilities who demonstrate dedication and success as a student, employee or volunteer.
- Employer of the Year – Honors a Tempe business or organization that employs individuals with disabilities.
- Youth Ability Award – Recognizes a young person, with disabilities, aged 18 or younger, who has overcome challenges and/or helped advance the rights of individuals with disabilities.
- Adult Ability Award – Presented in recognition of a person with disabilities, aged 18 or older, who has overcome challenges and/or helped advance the rights of individuals with disabilities.
- Exceptional Educator – Honors a teacher, school staff member or school support person who has provided exceptional education and support to students with disabilities.
- Emerging Leader Award – Recognizes an individual, aged 18-30, who has demonstrated leadership by raising awareness and/or improving services to the disabled community.
- Business Leadership Award – Recognizes a business that has improved access or increased employment opportunities for Tempe residents with disabilities.
- Accessibility Award – Recognizes a business or Tempe resident, architect, developer, planner or Tempe city department that has improved access for the physically challenged to private or public buildings, outdoor spaces, transportation and other areas.
- Valued Community Service – Honors a person, organization or business that has made a significant contribution by providing or improving personal and community support for individuals with disabilities.
- Pride of the City – Recognizes an individual, group, business or organization that has demonstrated a long term commitment to improving the quality of life for all the residents of Tempe.
Be a part of this important event by
- Submitting a nomination (click here for the online nomination form)
- Being a financial sponsor --Click here for the Sponsorship Packet
- Attending the celebration on May 6, 2015(see registration information above)
FOR MORE INFORMATION or to request a presentation on event information:
City of Tempe – Diversity Department
31 East 5th Street, Tempe, AZ 85281
The Tempe History Museum is wheelchair accessible; an ASL Interpreter will be provided. This event is smoke-free and fragrance-free; please do not wear scented products to the event. Food may include those prepared in locations containing dairy or nuts. Please contact us to request the following:
___ Listening system (FM headphones /neck loop)
___ Live Captioning
___ Signed English
___ Other: ______________________
Contact Michele_Stokes@tempe.gov to discuss.
Help celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the ADA! Visit http://www.adaanniversary.org/ for more information.