Choose a topic to learn more:
Tempe Community Writing Contest & Cover Design Contest
Submissions open 1/8/2018 to 2/19/2018
a publication of creative writing from the Tempe community
Sponsored by Tempe Public Library and Arizona State University
The Tempe Community Writing Contest accepts submissions of original works of fiction, creative nonfiction (including memoirs and essays) or poetry for the Tempe Writer's Forum. The writings of high school students, college students, and adults will be represented.
Both contests are open to Tempe residents, Tempe Public Library Cardholders, high school students and ASU students.
Writing Contest entries are judged by members of ASU’s creative writing community.
Cover Contest entries are judged by members of ASU and Tempe Public Library graphic design departments.
- One entry per person
- Prior winners must wait three (3) years before being eligible to win again.
Writing Contest Submission Criteria:
- Poetry – a poem up to 100 lines
- Fiction – a short story up to 3500 words
- Creative Nonfiction – a work of creative nonfiction up to 3500 words (including essay, memoir, and literary journalism)
- Categories – High School Student, College Student, Adult
- Please double space, use 12 point Times New Roman font, and number the pages.
IMPORTANT: Please do not include your name in the manuscript as entries will be read anonymously.
Cover Design Contest Specifications
- 9.5”h x 6.5”w (vertical) color design. Please note that the journals will be spiral bound on the left. Take this into consideration when creating your design.
- The cover design must include the following title, subtitle, volume, and date information:
- Tempe Writers Forum (The title should fill 20% of the cover space)
- Volume 4
- April 2018
- Writing From the Tempe Community
- Submit as an EPS file (convert fonts to outlines and save as a legacy file for CS5) or high resolution JPEG, at least 300 ppi.
Copyright note: If art or photography is used on the cover design, it MUST be the original work of the entrant or entrant must have documented permission from the creator.
- ADULT: Sandra Simmons - The Hobo Shack
- COLLEGE: Kahri O’Brien - Lavender
- HIGH SCHOOL: Emma Moriarty - Atlas Abandoned
- ADULT: Sandie Miller - Morning Rhythm
- COLLEGE: Claudio Garcia - Going Home
- HIGH SCHOOL: Aimee Cheng - To Forgive is to Forget
- ADULT: Thomas Scott - The White Buck
- COLLEGE: Bonnie Brockway - The Recital
- HIGH SCHOOL: Michael Preston - Endless Rain
COVER ART CONTEST
- Emily Hanaoka
Download a copy of Tempe Writers Forum V.3
Download a copy of 2017 Honorable Mentions
Find previous years winning entries here.