Unfortunately the library does not have the ability to offer exam proctoring services. Generally proctors must be from an accredited university, college, or military base and accredited with the National College Testing Association.
Nearby proctoring locations include:
- Rio Salado Community College
2323 W. 14th Street
Tempe, AZ 85281
ASU Testing & Scanning Services Office
University Center Building B
Tempe, AZ 85281
- Other city Community College locations including:
Mesa Community College
Scottsdale Community College
Phoenix Community College
- Rio Salado Community College
When an item has been lost or damaged beyond library use, the cardholder account will be charged the retail price of the item lost.
Additionally, the cardholder assumes responsibility for inspecting and keeping library items free from bed bug infestations. For more information about how to protect yourself from infestations please visit the EPA bed bug identification page, the Arizona Department of Economic Security’s Bed Bug Fact Sheet, or the National Pest Management Association’s Bed Bugs 101 video.
Further information can be found within the Borrower Privileges Policy.
Please contact the library online or at (480) 350-5521 if you have any further questions.
How to Donate Items:
Donated books and materials are given to the non-profit 501(c)(3) organization the "Friends of the Tempe Public Library" and sold through their bookstore. Funds acquired through book sales are dedicated to supporting Tempe Library programs and services.
You may drop off materials at:
- Friends of the Tempe Public Library bookstore (Main Floor of the library)
- Tempe Public Library parking lot drop box (Rural Rd. entrance)
- Whole Foods drop box (Baseline and Rural)
- Sprouts Farmers Market drop box (Southern and McClintock)
A tax receipt may be picked up in the library to be filled out by the donor.
The Friends are also participants in the Amazon Smile program.
Shop on Amazon via https://smile.amazon.com/ and select "Friends of the Tempe Public Library Inc" as your chosen charity.
Teens interested in volunteering at the Teen Library should contact the Teen Services Librarian, Micah Corporaal, at
To become a BookHype member ask to speak with your Teen Services Librarian or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
City of Tempe Volunteer Opportunities are managed by the Community Services Department Volunteer Coordinator, housed at the 2nd floor of the Tempe Public Library. Volunteers can register by calling (480) 350-5190.
- On-going library volunteer opportunities
- Special event library volunteer opportunities (Displays various Tempe departments; browse for Tempe Library)
- Student library volunteer opportunities
- Summer library volunteer opportunities (Displays various Tempe departments; browse for Tempe Library)
- If you'd like to volunteer for the Friends of the Tempe Public Library, please specify when registering.
Library Meeting Room A
The Library has two meeting rooms available for public rental, for an hourly rate. Click here for basic information about both rooms, availability, rates, reservations, and what to expect on the day of your event.
Yes! All equipment is self-serve, with basic assistance provided by staff.
- Users can print from the library's public computer terminals. Wireless printing is not available.
- Printing is $0.20/page (B&W) and $0.75/page (color).
- Photocopying is $0.20/page (B&W) and $0.75/page (color).
- Faxing is $0.25/page; personal email required for confirmation receipt. Outgoing transmissions only; local and toll-free numbers only.
- Scanning to email or USB is free of charge.
You can request an item online here and library staff will determine if the item can be purchased or loaned from a InterLibrary Loan participating library.
Please note that we cannot order books less than six months old, DVDs, CDs, and textbooks through InterLibrary Loan.
When requesting an InterLibrary Loan you must agree to the following terms:
- Tempe Public Library has no control over, and is not responsible for, the quality of photocopied materials received through interlibrary loan.
- Failure to pick up requested materials within seven (7) days of notification or failure to pay lending fees assessed by the lending library will result in a $5.00 per item fee. ILL requests cannot be cancelled.
- Interlibrary loan materials returned late will be assessed an overdue fee of 1.00 per day.
- If an interlibrary loan item is lost or damaged, the borrower will be responsible for the lending library's replacement fee. Please note that replacement cost of library items may be as high several hundred dollars over the purchase price of the item.
- Interlibrary loan items must be returned by hand to one of our library staff members. They must not be placed in the book return or book drop.
How to Place a Request:
- Locate an item in our catalog and verify all copies are checked out.
- Click on the "Place Request" button.
- Enter your library card number and PIN (last 4 digits of your phone number).
- Click "Submit Request".
Please note: You cannot place holds on items that are checked in.
You can however contact the library at (480) 350-5500 and request a "24 Hour Hold".
Tempe Public Library offers eight study rooms for patron use, free of charge.
- Study rooms are " first come, first serve".
- Check into a room by signing in on the clipboard outside the study room door.
- Sessions are limited to a maximum of two hours per day.
- One study room session per day, per user.
- Study Rooms #1 - 4 (max. - two people)
- Study Rooms #5 - 6 (max. - four people)
- Study Rooms #7 - 8 (max. - eight people)
Drive-Up Book Drop - West side of library
- Book drop; inside the library - main floor. (During normal business hours)
- Drive-up book drop; located on the West side of the building. (24-hours & Holidays)
Items returned by midnight will be credited for return for that day.
Interlibrary loan materials must be returned in person to a library staff member.
Tempe Public Library offers all visitors free access to public computers, including:
- Public computers for use by adults (Main Floor)
- Computers in the Teen Room (Lower Level)
- Youth Computers in the Children's Area (Lower Level)
- Family Computers (Lower Level)
- Children's Computers (age-appropriate educational software and games)
Public Computers provide Internet access and standard Microsoft Office functions.
Users can log-on to computers with a Tempe Public Library card.
"Mill District" card by artist Colton Brock
Tempe Public Library cards are available free of charge to residents of Tempe and all other parts of Maricopa County. Learn more about library card account details here.
Log-in to your library account here, and renew items under "Items Out".
Renew by phone:
Renew in person:
Renew your checked-out items at our self-checkout stations in the library.
Most books, DVDs and CDs may be renewed three times, if they have not been reserved by another library user. Bestseller Express books may not be renewed. Renewals for books from other libraries, received through interlibrary loan, are rare, and are handled on a case-by-case basis. For more information, see our Borrower Privileges Policy.
If you know your current PIN:
Log in > click on "Change PIN"
If you do not know your current PIN:
Generally your PIN is the last four digits of the phone number your registered your account with.
If you changed your PIN, or you can't recall which phone number is attached to the account, click on "Forgot your PIN?" underneath the space for entering the PIN
If you are still unable to log-in please ask library staff at the Library Cards window to help you, or call the Library at (480) 350-5500 for assistance.
- You can make a suggestion in-person, or online.
While Tempe Public Library cannot promise to purchase everything that is asked for, we will make every reasonable effort to honor your request.
The Library offers eBooks, digital audiobooks for download or streaming, eMagazines, streaming video, and downloadable and streaming music. All of the information and instructions can be found on our Downloadables page.
The library offers free Wi-Fi. It's simple and free to connect.
- Select the TEMPEPUBLIC wireless network on your device.
- A pop-up or notification will prompt you to log-in.
(If the pop-up does not appear, try opening a new browser window to launch the log-in page.)
- Username: tempeguest
- The password is updated regularly, and is posted throughout the facility.
- Accept the "Terms of Service" and you can surf for free for two hours before needing to log in again.