Captain R. G. Andre
Died: c. 1910, in Tempe
R. G. Andre, a skilled saddlemaker, was a prominent businessman in early Tempe. While living in Phoenix, he built a commercial building at the southwest corner of Mill and 4th Street in 1888, and opened a saddlery and harness shop. In 1893 he moved to Tempe. Andre later joined with M. Mertz, who became his partner in Andre and Mertz, a store specializing in harnesses, saddlery, and vehicles. The Andre Building burned in 1899, but Andre built a new building on same site in the following year.
The Andre Building on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. In 1981, the exterior of the building was restored to its original appearance.