by Mary Erickson, Ph.D.
and Arizona art teacher, Laurie Eldridge, Ph.D.
Outsiders Within is a three-lesson unit plan designed in conjunction with the exhibition Outsiders Within: Contemporary Work from Regional Latina/o and Native American Artists at the Gallery at Tempe Center for the Arts.
Outsiders Within Exhibition Preview PowerPoint
- Theme in Life: We are all members of one or more cultures or groups.
- Theme in Art: Artists can get ideas from several cultures.
How do some artists use ideas from their cultures in their artworks?
How do artists use lines?
What does the artwork mean?
For Secondary Students: How do artists and art experts understand/interpret the artwork?
Many people who live in Arizona see themselves as members of more than one culture or group. While some people maintain roots in one cultural heritage, they may, at the same time, stretch or even break its traditions as they make connections with other cultures. The Outsiders Within unit explores how artists draw ideas from several cultures and art traditions. It features works by Native American and Latina/o artists on view in the Outsiders Within exhibition.
- What Is Culture? PowerPoint
- About Artist Tlisza Jaurique (pdf)
- About Artist Randy Kemp (pdf)
- What Do the Lines Say? (pdf)
- For Secondary Students: What Does Tlisza Jaurique’s Artwork Mean? (pdf)
- For Secondary Students: What Does Randy Kemp’s Artwork Mean? (pdf)
- Making a Culture Collage PowerPoint
Mayan Codices supplementary websites
- A variety of magazines
- Cardstock paper
- Magazines, newspapers and other print (or printout) items
- Black markers
- Assortment of scrap booking and collage papers (optional)
Nancy Erickson’s ESL students at Mesa Community College
Gary Keller Cárdenas and Melanie Magisos at Arizona State University’s Hispanic Research Center
Andrea R. Hanley, Berlin Gallery at the Heard Museum
Students in Laurie Eldridge’s 3rd grade at Ira A. Murphy Elementary School in the Peoria Unified School District.
Funded by the Friends of Tempe Center for the Arts
Previsit Lesson = 40-60 minutes
TCA Visit Lesson = Field Trip
Post Visit Lesson = 90-150 minutes