Survey Number: HPS-206
Year Built: 1909
Architectural Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
The Administration / Science Building is a fine example of Richardson Romanesque style and the most intact academic building over 50 years old on the ASU campus. This building is important for its location, forming the third side of the historic quad of the Teachers College and providing a positive and prominent contribution to the historic "Old Main" district of the Arizona State University Tempe Campus. Highly visible from University Drive, the west facing main facade provides a sense of enclosure to the open quad in front of Old Main.
D. W. Millard, Architect; Harvey D. Patton, Builder; 1909
The Administration / Science Building is a fine example of Richardson Romanesque style with its brick construction; mansard roof; and copper shingles. The stone sills at the openings are character-defining features of the style. With most of its exterior features intact, this building provides a positive and prominent contribution to the historic district of ASU with high visibility from University Drive. The two-story symmetrical brick structure measures 70 ft. by 92 ft. Constructed on a granite foundation, the building rises to a steeply pitched, hipped roof covered with copper shingles with matching parapet gables on the east facade. The main facade faces west onto the open quad in front of Old Main. Openings are generally supported with segmental arches, but areas of original decorative brickwork remain, such as the south entry. Windows are double-hung. Panel doors have transoms. The eaves are boxed and detailed with dentils. Internally, the building retains its spatial arrangement along with many features including floors, doors, casements, baseboards and moldings. An original vault is located on the first floor.
A fire stair and restroom projection was added to this facade in 1950 (Mel Ensign, architect). Although intrusive, this addition was reversible. The building was again rehabilitated in the late 1980s. The building was rehabilitated in the late 1990s for its current use as the ASU University Club, a meeting and dining facility. Notwithstanding these renovations, the building remains the most intact academic building over 50 years old on the ASU campus. Considering the changes in function (Administration, Science, English, ROTC, Art) and the inappropriate addition to the west facade, the basic integrity of the building remains high.
This building is important for its location, where together with a former twin (Gymnasium Building to the west) and Old Main to the south, this building defined the historic quad of the Territorial Normal School, which was to become Arizona State University. The Administration / Science Building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on September 4, 1985.
National Register Nomination, 09/04/1985
Also known as: Administration/Science Building; NR Building - #85002169; ASU Fine Arts Annex